transfer case actuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer case actuator

Guys im having issues with 4wd engagement on my gen 2 manual.iv removed the actuator and fully stripped and cleaned it and got a guy to check the motor/contacts.he reckons its operating as it should.when i connect the wiring plug to it and flick the swith nothing is happening.my next port of call is test each pin in the plug with a multimeter for power when the 4wd button is pressed.can anyone tell me what voltage readings i should get at each terminal?
    [B][FONT="Impact"]Cut my way in...weld my way out![/FONT][/B]

Hi,
    I can't help directly, but I can sympathise - I'm currently working a similar problem on my 3rd Gen (https://hiluxsurf.co.uk/node/84701).

I believe the system on a 2nd Gen is slightly simpler - the actuator only operates the 4wd in/out and not the centre diff lock (possibly easier not having one! )

There is a test procedure in the Toyota FSM pages posted online which I think applies to a 2nd Gen - using a relay to test both the move to 2wd and the move to 4wd. If you haven't already got those pages I can try and find the link.

Here is one - there are other copies as well - what makes me think 2nd Gen is it only says "2wd" and "4wd" on the actions - no mention of H4L
    http://gs157.photobucket.com/group/J...44E&sort=3&o=3
    Last edited by kimbl; 17 November 2014, 23:21.

Comment

PS - my next thing if the actuator looks ok would be to test the limit switches screwed in which operate on the shift rod - lots of reports of troubles there even if the actuator itself is ok.

Comment

I bought a working transfer case actuator off eBay, which arrived this morning. Being an impatient sod I decided to fit it tonight. Once fitted I pressed the 4wd button on the transfer lever.noticeable motor noise.pressed it again and again the motor spun but that was i.no 4wd light on the dash. Upon pressing the button now im hearing nothing other than the 4wd ecu/relay under the radio clicking. Can anyone offer some insight before I push it into the scrap pile

Comment

sorted this eventually,but not without alot of head scratching! i took the motor out and tested it as per the toyota workshop manual.worked perfected.i rigged up a new harness with two relays and a dpdt switch but for some reason i couldnt get the relays to work in sync so i reverted to just a single relay and the dpdt switch and success! the transfer motor actuates,noticeable under dash click and the vsv's engage locking the front diff.the only issue iv come across is sometimes the 4wd light doesnt illuminate straight away...but i think il get over this small problem

Comment

Working...
          X