Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start after new passenger side battery

Hi there,

I had to fit a new battery over the weekend as the passenger side one was completely dead, even tried jumping with my brother-in-law's VW but still no luck. Went down to KwikFit, confirmed the battery was knackered bought a new one, brought it home, fitted it and started up first time - GREAT!

That was Saturday, come Monday I tried to start her up and after a short flickers of the dashboard lights nothing. The battery reading on the dash even went dead. Checked the batteries and they're both still good. The lights on the dash, etc. still work but the starter doesn't even try to turn over, there isn't even a click.

I'm no mechanic so not sure what could be wrong, any ideas where I should start?

Spec:
    Engine Size: 3.0L
    Fuel: Diesel
    Transmission: Manual
    Model: Surf SSRX

Check the battery connections are tight.
    There's a plastic section inside the battery clamps that prevents them from gripping the battery posts securely. I cut them out.

Also, is the other battery in good condition? If that one is dead it will drain the new battery very quickly as they are linked together.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbleyheadedbob View Post
      Hi there,

I had to fit a new battery over the weekend as the passenger side one was completely dead, even tried jumping with my brother-in-law's VW but still no luck. Went down to KwikFit, confirmed the battery was knackered bought a new one, brought it home, fitted it and started up first time - GREAT!

That was Saturday, come Monday I tried to start her up and after a short flickers of the dashboard lights nothing. The battery reading on the dash even went dead. Checked the batteries and they're both still good. The lights on the dash, etc. still work but the starter doesn't even try to turn over, there isn't even a click.

I'm no mechanic so not sure what could be wrong, any ideas where I should start?

Spec:
      Engine Size: 3.0L
      Fuel: Diesel
      Transmission: Manual
      Model: Surf SSRX

When you checked the batteries, did you check them when they were still connected to each other?
      Best to disconnect a battery and check individually.
      You could still have a duff battery ie the one that wasn't changed is bringing the good (new) one down.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

That Vince is quick.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a go after work tomorrow and I'll let you know. thanks again for the prompt response(s).

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Check the battery connections are tight.
            There's a plastic section inside the battery clamps that prevents them from gripping the battery posts securely. I cut them out.

Also, is the other battery in good condition? If that one is dead it will drain the new battery very quickly as they are linked together.
            I reckon you're right, I tested them both individually and they are reading 8.4V each, off to get another replacement.

Comment

you may want to consider converting to single battery.
              as you have found the batteries tend to act as one battery and they often need both replacing at once.

Comment

Sounds like a wise idea though, I wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

Working...
                X