Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen3 3.0litre diesel start problem

Hi
    As above it won't start. Not even turn over. Also, the glow plug light on the dash is not lighting.

Firstly some background.

1) it has an aftermarket alarm immobiliser which times out the ignition circuit after 20 seconds of keys in the ignition with the engine off. Normally, a button push brings the heater plugs and ignition back online but not anymore.
    2) yesterday I got it started by moving the auto gearbox shifter back and fore
    - this brought the ignition circuit back into play. So I got the car started, got home, switched it off. Then back on and off several times without a problem.
    3) the day before that, when sitting in park and neutral the starter would engage and run with the engine already running. The engine also started itself with the key in the "II" position rather than fully turned over, then released.
    4) when I try to start the car, the glow plug light does not come on and I can hear a lot of relays clicking. The starter motor does not turn.

So I am looking at the following as causes

1) faulty neutral start switch - but where do I find it?
    2) faulty alarm/immobiliser
    3) faulty ignition barrel - how do I test an remove the ignition barrel?
    4) bad earth some where

Any other ideas? Also where is the diagnostic port and what is the procedure to get it to tell me something? How does it do this and how do I interpret the output?

Many thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Lanark; 28 April 2014, 08:27.

Brake light bulbs?

Blame a elderly American for that
    Part of a safety circuit to make sure you don't start with your foot planted on the loud pedal I believe
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Brake light bulbs?

Blame a elderly American for that
      Part of a safety circuit to make sure you don't start with your foot planted on the loud pedal I believe
      I will check but since it Passed an MOT 2minutes before the starter was engaging while the engine was already running, I doubt it.

Comment

Update

I went out to it yesterday morning and it started fine few times, then nothing.

Being intermittent, can rule out an ecu problem?.

I took the dash out to reset the timing belt light and found a red wire, connected to nothing, tagged onto the back of the PCB at a point marked "F"

Any ideas? Is F the fuel gauge feed?

Thanks in advance
        Attached Files

Comment

To me it's sounds like a faulty ignition switch barrel, also that red wire looks very aftermarket maybe something to do with your immobiliser, def not factory fit.

The barrel is just multi switch powering up different circuits as you turn the key, I think the easiest way to test it is to eBay a working scrap one and swapping it over. You could test the wiring but connecting each wire in turn to test is a pain.

Also if it is a bad barrel it could go horribly wrong imagine the barrel engaging the starter and holding it on if you were away from the Surf, an urgent one if the barrel seems to be playing up.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...A/TAkaAru3VpsJ
          Last edited by Vultch; 21 May 2014, 13:46.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Testing the ignition switch I find.

In off position.

All 0V except the white wire and the white wire with red stripe. Both 12V.

At the number 2 position, all 12V except the green/black wire.

Will check the wiring diagram, but if that jumps out at anyone as right or wrong please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

You might find that on load the switch is breaking down but under test its fine. Might be worth getting a new one.

Comment

Working...
              X