Truly Clear F&R lenses inc LED Upgrade - Gen 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truly Clear F&R lenses inc LED Upgrade - Gen 3

I'm not sure if this has been done before so apologies if it has.

I recently upgraded the rear light cluster & front indicator lenses to clear, also upgrading stop/tail & flashers to LED, a purchase list of which is detailed at the bottom of this page.

My only real issue was the flasher relay but I eventually managed to source a direct plug-&-play replacement (CF14 JL02).

On the flasher side, only two simple mods are required (due to polarity sensitivity) - firstly reverse the polarity on the front units, I did this by using a Stanley knife to remove the two protruding pieces of plastic (ears) off the Grey connecting plug, allowing for ambidextrous assembly (rear T20 bulbs need no modification as they can be rotated for correct polarity, as with side/tail).

Secondly (due to the offset male locater pin configuration on an LED P21w) file off one of the pins on both of the front LED bulbs, they really only require one to seat & stay secure.

Don't worry about operating the system with incorrect polarity, this will not blow the LED's, they merely won't operate until the correct polarity has been achieved.

As for the T20 (clear) reversing LED's, this proved to be a bit of a disaster as both bulbs immediately overheated & fell apart - the seller was notified & he did send replacements which I have yet to try.......however, this is not at the top of my list of priorities as they do not add background colour to the clear lenses - I'm happy with the non-LED originals

CLEAR LENSES:

Rear Lens Cluster (x2) eBay item: 400505073778 (£65 - free p&p)

Front Bumper (x2) eBay item: 171037575000 (£29 - free p&p)

INDICATORS:

LED Relay (CF14 JL02) eBay item: 330950402287 (£7.49 - free p&p)

Rear Bulbs (x2 LED-T20) eBay item: 281121913431 (£7.38 - free p&p)

Front Bulbs (x2 Amber LED-P21W) eBay item: 350442868560 (£7.86+99p p&p)

STOP/TAIL:

Although these Bulbs are sold via eBay UK, they can only be purchased from either Germany or Australia - as of yet there are currently none available in the UK (I bought both, but the Australian version appears brighter)....both items were on my doorstep within 10 days.

Germany:
    LED bulbs (x2 W3x16Q) eBay item: 380425410259 (£8.63+£5.18 p&p)

Australia:
    LED bulbs (x2 W3x16Q) eBay item: 190595943905 (£5.98+£7.21 p&p)

EDIT:

The small side indicator actually comes in various guises, the best of which I believe to be (purchased) one with a encapsulated chrome globe (masking an amber bulb) - giving a completely clear appearance:

eBay item: 280512663166 (£18 - free p&p)

To finish the job off I also purchased a clear LED 3rd Brake (spoiler) light from Amazon.com......again, absolutely none available in the UK (including Amazon.co.uk) - the p&p + import duty worked out better than eBay on this one.

Amazon.com item http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Tig; 27 July 2013, 13:33.

Comment

Stealing your thunder much?

Comment

claps of thunder & lightening here

no sign of rain as yet

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post
          Stealing your thunder much?

WTF are you talking about now?

Comment

Nice, would be good to see Pics!

I bought one of the "smoked" LED 3rd tail lights for mine, but it doesn't fit in my Surf spoiler - It wouldn't fit in the metal boot lid for those that don't run spoilers

I went for a different approach with my tail lights and ordered a set of these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/29094...ff14=66&ff19=0

The keep regular bulb indicators though, So I'll definitely upgrade them, as per the parts you very helpfully posted!
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
              Nice, would be good to see Pics!

I bought one of the "smoked" LED 3rd tail lights for mine, but it doesn't fit in my Surf spoiler - It wouldn't fit in the metal boot lid for those that don't run spoilers

I went for a different approach with my tail lights and ordered a set of these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/29094...ff14=66&ff19=0

The keep regular bulb indicators though, So I'll definitely upgrade them, as per the parts you very helpfully posted!
              Thank you, you're very welcome.

You're right, I should have taken images as I was doing the upgrade....I'll be sure to take a few of the finished article & add them to this thread.

I did look at the rear lenses that you bought, along with some Lexus replicas but was I was really looking for clear - the trick was replacing the supplied 'coloured' stop/tail & flasher bulbs that sort of defeated the object.

Comment

Working...
              X