Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window relay?

Hi all
    having probs with the rear window...nothing new there! but normally works when it feels like it, sometimes just a clicking from N/S rear, however if I have the engine running with decent revs it works nearly all the time.
    So can someone confirm, I think that the contacts in the relays are tired and the extra amps are enough to get it going, but I'm sure this wont last for long. I remember someone on here changed the relays, can anyone shed any light on this and where to get them please?
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
    Hi all
    having probs with the rear window...nothing new there! but normally works when it feels like it, sometimes just a clicking from N/S rear, however if I have the engine running with decent revs it works nearly all the time.
    So can someone confirm, I think that the contacts in the relays are tired and the extra amps are enough to get it going, but I'm sure this wont last for long. I remember someone on here changed the relays, can anyone shed any light on this and where to get them please?

Lube up the runners if you havn't already then;
    Have a look here
    http://www.yotatech.com/f116/rear-wi...runner-137193/

There is one on the Aus site too, if Nev sees this He may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

There's been plenty of talk recently regarding relays and broken wires.
      If fact when I have spare time I need to sort mine too.

As said yours sounds like it needs cleaning and lubing.
      Both the mechanism and the glass rails. When they get dirty the motor needs to work harder to open/close.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back but all the rails and guides clean, the mech side clean cleaned and lubed, new motor fitted and all the gearing checked meshing correctly with plenty of lube, all pivots free running.
        I was hoping for confirmation as the mech side holds no secrets but what I want to know is ; is the relay box easy to get to/out and is the relay replacement relatively straight forward and self explanatory ? I was sure someone on here had done it, so was hoping for guidance.
        Ta
        Tony

Comment

Have a read of this; it may help:
          http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ow.shtml#Relay

Comment

thanks guys looks like you have come up trumps again, so off to Maplins to get relays, as they are cheap anyway what is there to loose, cos new with higher rating must be better than than old, right?
            Tony

Comment

Before you spend time messing with the relays make sure the wires are all good between the tailgate and relay.

Comment

I agree, wishbone, and so does the guy who wrote the article I posted a link to (above). He said, "While these troubleshooting steps are numbered from 1 to 13, you really should start at step 13 and work backwards."

Comment

Thanks

well to all that gave info thanks a lot, did check all wiring and all appeared well so changed the relays, 4 cost less than £8.00! and as they were well rusty got the tracks from roughtrax and yes the window is as smooth as a baby's bum, just one note though my relay box had a different layout to the one in the thread so I will attempt to get some photos up here in due course.
                  any one that gets new bottom tracks be warned they are a real Bi*ch to fit, really tight, after one hell of a struggle trying all sorts of ways and using all the washing up liquid I mastered it by opening up the channel slightly, pushing them on, easing the rubber into the channel properly with a screw driver and then very carefully crimping the channel tight on the glass, but all done now and working like a dream.
                  MOT sailed through with just an advisory on the anti roll bar links so will change them just to be AOK, so another 12 months all being well on the blue one!
                  Tony

Comment

More pics of the relays would be great as most that were on the net for this layout seem to be missing now. I think you would have the layout where the relays are in three lines of two. The ones replaced would be the four under the two with covers over them. Is that correct?

Nev.
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 7 June 2013, 00:08.

Comment

pics

there you go Nev, photos I looked at were from the links in the posts above, feel free to link these to wherever (bit beyond me!) hope they help. Must admit I found it a bit fiddly to do and was amazed just how much solder came away from these joints (in the pic) with my sucker, IF you havnt got one get one or do not attempt!
                      Attached Files
                      Tony

Comment

Thank you. Yeah, they are a real pain to get out and a sucker is a must have. I need one with a finer tip.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                        X