No announcement yet.

Alternator Plugs doing my wee head in..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Plugs doing my wee head in..

Hi folks (my very 1st Post)

My friend has a hilux surf and was replacing the alternator.

The plugs are almost the same (square) only the locking catch was different but of course the wires have different colour codes. We attached it and we got a charge but the dashboard is lit up like a x-mas tree. I have read of similar issues here but my query is:

The harness has red, yellow/blue and white wires.

The new alternator has blue, black and green wires.

Could anyone please tell me which wires are supposed to marry up to which.
    I had read somewhere that the ignition/ dash light being wrong could make this occcur. (or a dead alternator or a bad earth) The old alt was charging ok, my mate wanted the new one as the old one was a tad noisy.

We did try a wee bit of errrrrrrr trial and error, it sparked a tad so we stopped that.

Any help would greatly be appreciated (feel like I know you all as I have been trawling your site all weekend =0) We did get a charge of 14-16v at the battery but all the lights where on the dash..

Cheers,

john

looking like its the wrong alternator... seems that the old one was internal regulator and new is external. Is it possible to convert?

Comment

Far easier to buy the correct one from a breaker, especially if you're not 100%sure of what you are doing.

If your mates truck is a 2.4 then you have no alternative choices due to the vacuum pump on the front.

Comment

Working...
      X