100amp fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100amp fuse

Wonder if I can pick someone's brains? I have a kzn130 that keeps blowing the 100amp main fuse, car has been standing for nearly a year, over Xmas I had put the wrong battery in the car, leads flicked over battery (wrong way round) and initially blew the 100amp fuse, new fuse and car started fine, got mot done and one way home with lights on, all dash lights flicked on, wipers activated by themselves and fuse blew, whilst changing fuse again I noticed I hadn't done the battery to body earth strap up and put the blown fuse down to that.
    Replaced fuse, tightened battery strap, all was well again and tonight fuse has blown again. Prior to this I've had the car 5 years and never had a problem with fuses or electrics, the only thing that has been changed on car is the addition of a towbar and trailer lighting electrics but I wasn't towing anything so nothing was connected. I'm a bit lost at the moment so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As the only thing you've done is add a towbar, I'd start there, though if that is blowing the 100A fuse, thats worrying.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Is that the Alternator Fuse?

On my mk6 hilux the alternator was grinding itself away and when it went pop it took the 100A out with it...
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

As time is rapidly running out for me as I need the car this Saturday, a friend of mine who is a technical trainer for vauxhall is looking at it, his initial finding is, the glow plug relay appears to be stuck on, the car has now got to a point where running the car and revving it, is causing the 100amp alternator fuse to glow and melt, pulling the glow plug relay cures the problem, refitting it causes the problem again. Although he is confident this is the problem he is going to take the relay in and test its function just to be 100% sure, the reason it's not blowing the glow plug fuse is, the glow plugs aren't doing anything they shouldn't apart from being continuously on but apparently the 100amp fuse is also supplying the 80amp glow plug fuse, so when car is revved the current draw from glow plugs is over powering the alt fuse, fingers crossed this is the real cause...

Comment

Get your mate to put a voltmeter across the coil contacts in the relay socket. If there's power there continuously, its not the relay. If there isn't, its is the relay, simples
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Ok, glow plug relay is operating fine so issue most likely lies with a fried circuit in the engine ecu, is there a glow plug timer anywhere on the car or is the timer controlled by the ecu? For this weekend it's looking ok just to get by by leaving the relay disconnected, then I suppose it's find another ecu or try and operate glow plug relay by a manual switch inside the car.
            Car will be back with me tomorrow so I'll check for voltage coming in to the relay, thanks apache

Comment

Working...
            X