Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using another battery

hi
    was after some advice, wondering if i could link up another car battery to the surf for charging up when not in use. Not long ago brought a new battery for the boat, boat is not used for long periods of time and rather then just setting there for months i was wondering if i could connect it to the surf to help with powering things on the surf and at the same time keeping it charged ready for the boat when needed.

any help or advice appreciated

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
    hi
    was after some advice, wondering if i could link up another car battery to the surf for charging up when not in use. Not long ago brought a new battery for the boat, boat is not used for long periods of time and rather then just setting there for months i was wondering if i could connect it to the surf to help with powering things on the surf and at the same time keeping it charged ready for the boat when needed.

any help or advice appreciated

Nearly all 2nd gens have two batteries, just connect the............

I think I'll leave the rest to the experts.

Comment

re

3rd gen

Comment

Yes you could use a split charging system. Would the battery be in the rear of the surf? As a spare?

Comment

re

Originally posted by red barron View Post
          Yes you could use a split charging system. Would the battery be in the rear of the surf? As a spare?
          hi red barron
          i haven't taken a look to see if there's room, but was thinking of storing it in the engine bay, i believe some 3rd gens did have a winter pack and two batteries in the engine bay ( not sure of this ) i was thinking if i could get hold of a battery tray and store in the engine bay too.

ark

Comment

Yep my 3rd gen has a winter pack with two batteries, the only problem I can see is what to do with the second batteries terminals when you take the charged battery out for the boat.

Comment

re

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
              Yep my 3rd gen has a winter pack with two batteries, the only problem I can see is what to do with the second batteries terminals when you take the charged battery out for the boat.
              Hi Dobbslc
              that's good news they do have two batteries in some 3rd gens, which means if i can get hold of a battery tray there's hope. i think when the time comes to take the battery out for boat, depending on how its linked would hope i could just disconnect from where its connected ( maybe using something along the lines of bolted on loom ) .

ark
              ps do you know if its just a case of two heavy duty looms from main battery to the winter battery ?

Comment

I think it's just a + link across the batteries then a ground cable to earth.
                I'll have a look if I get a chance.
                Dobbs

Comment

re

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                  I think it's just a + link across the batteries then a ground cable to earth.
                  I'll have a look if I get a chance.
                  Dobbs
                  be grateful if you can thanks Dobbslc

Comment

re

took a look in engine bay tonight, dont think i need a tray has there's already the room for battery may just need a fixing clamp.
                    concerned if the alternator will cope with the two batteries tho?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
                      took a look in engine bay tonight, dont think i need a tray has there's already the room for battery may just need a fixing clamp.
                      concerned if the alternator will cope with the two batteries tho?

It's very simple to add another battery, the same difficulty as chaging the interior lights for LEDs.

Parts needed:

1. Battery. (New)
                      2. Battery clamp down strap.
                      3. Battery tray or piece of rubber mat. (Neither is compulsory)
                      4. Heavy gauge cabling to link battery + terminals.
                      5. Short heavy gauge cable to earth 'new' battery.
                      6. + & - battery terminal clamps.

Items 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 can be obtained/scrounged from Surf breakers, 2nd or 3rd gen, either will work.

Leave your existing battery set up as it is.

Fit a second battery in the space provided on the other side of the engine compartment, make sure the negative terminal is nearest the body/inner wing.

One the battery is in place, you'll need a heavy gauge cable to run from the positive terminal, across the front of the engine compartment (tucked up under the slam panel secured with Zip ties) to the other battery's positive terminal.

Then you'll need a short length of heavy gauge cable to earth the 'new' battery's negative terminal to the truck's body/inner wing.

That's all there is to it. Now your alternator will happily charge both batteries as you drive.

Comment

re

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        It's very simple to add another battery, the same difficulty as chaging the interior lights for LEDs.

Parts needed:

1. Battery. (New)
                        2. Battery clamp down strap.
                        3. Battery tray or piece of rubber mat. (Neither is compulsory)
                        4. Heavy gauge cabling to link battery + terminals.
                        5. Short heavy gauge cable to earth 'new' battery.
                        6. + & - battery terminal clamps.

Items 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 can be obtained/scrounged from Surf breakers, 2nd or 3rd gen, either will work.

Leave your existing battery set up as it is.

Fit a second battery in the space provided on the other side of the engine compartment, make sure the negative terminal is nearest the body/inner wing.

One the battery is in place, you'll need a heavy gauge cable to run from the positive terminal, across the front of the engine compartment (tucked up under the slam panel secured with Zip ties) to the other battery's positive terminal.

Then you'll need a short length of heavy gauge cable to earth the 'new' battery's negative terminal to the truck's body/inner wing.

That's all there is to it. Now your alternator will happily charge both batteries as you drive.
                        top bloke

Comment

Working...
                        X