yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick (hopefully) battery related question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick (hopefully) battery related question.

A few weeks ago the truck failed to start and needed jumping, which worried me as I'd just driven from Sheffield to Nottingham (lights heater and radio on) and I figured the alternator was shot.

Had a look the folowing day and noticed one of the batteries was leaking juice so bought two new batteries.

Fitted them and (after fixing the fuel injector leak) all has been well.

The question is I'm sure before the needle used to be round about just after the battery icon while the glow plugs heated up, but the last few times has been on the halfway line. So while I know the right of the line is normal operating according to the owner manual and a mechanic had said he had teasted it and it was all fine but I am paranoid of flat batteries and getting stuck somewhere!

Could the cold temperature be the culprit for the lower reading? Does the discharge icon always light up if there is an alternator problem (mine hasnt yet)?
    Leaky Surf

Mine sits about half way when warming the plugs once started its about 3/4.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Our batteries were flat this morning, not sure if the wife left something on, but the charge needle always sits about 2/3 of the way across to the right.

Taking it to garage later to get batteries checked out, too close to christmas to risk leaving, as from friday there will be nowhere to get them from for a week.
      I take it if one is knackered the other one will be as well?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Shadyadie View Post
        Our batteries were flat this morning, not sure if the wife left something on, but the charge needle always sits about 2/3 of the way across to the right.

Taking it to garage later to get batteries checked out, too close to christmas to risk leaving, as from friday there will be nowhere to get them from for a week.
        I take it if one is knackered the other one will be as well?

Cheers
        Get the garage to do a drop test on the batteries it may also be worth getting them to check alternator output too.
        It may just be a slack alternator belt.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Cheers for the replies however the truck failed to start last night, and worse still I was on my way to gig at a wedding!.

As luck would have it I had called at Maplins for stuff when it wouldn't start so I went back in and bought a portable jump starter thing £80 but started it first time (Guy in shop said the unit needed charging before use but was actually fully charged )

Anyhow, what I don't understand is why the battery meter still shows the needle to be at half even when there is not enough power to start the car and if it is the alternator (as the batteries are brand new) why is the charge warning light not on?

My only deduction is that it might be the belt to blame, maybe loose?
          Leaky Surf

Comment

If you have access to a DC Amp meter you can check the alternator output.
            IIRC about 6 Amps on tickover.
            Check the battery voltage again at tickover.Again IIRC 13.5V

But you should also check the alternator belt is correctly tensioned.

What batteries did you fit?
            Are the connections clean and not corroded.
            Have you done a leakage check with everything thing off, again the DC Amp meter can be useful here.With no aftermarket electrical gubbins the drain should be minute (as in very small not sixty seconds).
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I ordered these from Advanced Battery Supplies http://www.advancedbatterysupplies.c...068and069.html
              They arrived promptly and were well packaged. When I installed them I noticed one of the old batteries had been leaking so I cleaned up all the leakages and then brushed both sets of battery clamps with a wire bristle brush.

Both sets of cables are tightly secured to the batteries.

I have nothing aftermarket fitted although the guys before had fitted a converter so his kid could use his playstation in the back (I left the converter in but had been using the truck ages with no problems)

Forgive my naivety but what does IIRC mean and how would you do a leakage test?

I tested the vehicle with my meter after installed the batteries, with and without the engine running and these readings suggested no supply from alternator but the garage guy said he tested it and it was fine so I presumed my multimeter was knackered or needed a new battery.
              Leaky Surf

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7081 View Post

Both sets of cables are tightly secured to the batteries.

Forgive my naivety but what does IIRC mean and how would you do a leakage test?

I tested the vehicle with my meter after installed the batteries, with and without the engine running and these readings suggested no supply from alternator but the garage guy said he tested it and it was fine so I presumed my multimeter was knackered or needed a new battery.
                IIRC If I remember correctly
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                X