Doh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh!!!

I've made the mother of all f#*k ups, apologies for not having been on here for a long time but surf has been parked up off road due to shortage of funds to run it, its a '94 3.0l after being locked up in the garage for 6 months i needed to move it to get to the xmas deccies that are behind it but batteries were flat so after a few days charging them the game was on to restart the beast but due to me rushing about i placed to wrong battery into the n/s battery box and the battery cables flashed across the battery terminals and after a brief spark she's now dead
    turning the key produces the key in chime and interior lights are on but i have no ignition lights and car will not turn over, i have checked the fuses under the drivers footwell and drivers side under bonnet and they all seem ok are there any more hidden away anywhere? what else is there to check? is there an ecu of some sorts hidden away?
    any help would be very much appreciated

Odd. If you've only connected one the wrong way, you should only have knackered a battery if anything, and they'll just discharge into each other. They're in parallel, not series.

Or did you only connect one up, the wrong way?

There are fuses under the bonnet from what I recall, but as I haven't owned a Surf for a couple of years, I can't fully remember what and where they are.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

only one battery was placed in the car and flashed across the terminals, the other battery was on the floor, i did find one blown fuse which was interior lights, changed that and lights are back on again other than that she's dead

Comment

or, thinking about it, do you think that length of standing time has something to do with it? maybe a stuck relay of some kind?

Comment

Nah, it'll be a fuse somewhere.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

the job is made more awkward as the car is stuck in the garage, i have a steepish slope outside my garage so if i pushed it out i'd never get it back in again unless its under its own steam.
            so next job is to double check all fuses, are there any hidden ones that anyone knows about that arent obvious?

Comment

This is a fairly old thread, and also about an older, different model motor/system , but it may assist in your quest:
              http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...c.php?p=114165

Comment

Huge thanks for that link, the symptoms sound exactly the same as mine and with diagrams too. You sir, are a star. I'll check it out at the weekend fingers crossed the beast will live again!

Comment

A huge virtual pint on its way to yorta2, couldn't resist having a quick look when I got home from work and found the 100amp fuse blown, a quick bridge with a screw driver and we have ignition lights again, batteries still not alive enough to crank over but solenoid was clicking. So gonna charge batteries again, may be try jumping it but I now have full confidence.
                  Thank you guys

Comment

Good on you, Mickyd; hope it is all sorted.

Comment

just a quick update, fuse not the easiest in the world to remove, you have to remove fuse box 2x 1mm bolts and its bottom cover then release the clip holding the 80 & 100amp fuse holder in place and push holder down and out of the bottom of main fuse box, then find 1x 10mm bolt and 1x 8mm bolts holding fuse and wiring together, once they have been removed then fuse can be pulled upwards and removed.

after searching the usual places, local motor factors and roughtrax and Milners, none have a 100 amp fuse, R/T and milners only have fuses up to 80amp, £2.85 sees one found and bought from Amazon of all places, is there anything they dont sell?

batteries have now seen a full recovery charge with charger showing they are in strong condition, so as soon as the new fuse turns up, I'm confident she will fire up into life again.

Comment

Working...
                      X