Dash lights on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash lights on

I have a 2nd 2.4 here which is now running very nicely with only one issue.

I have pulled the cb from the truck, cleaned and refitted the starter and removed charged and refitted the batteries. In short the limit of my auto electrical ability.

Now my issue; I just noticed this afternoon while moving the truck along the drive, that the dash lights you get on first turn of the key are staying on, when the truck starts. I also noticed I only have side lights, main beam and rear and wing indicators.

Is this another daft blown bulb quirk of the Surf like the brake light and auto shift issue.

Please bear in mind paragraph 2 when offering solutions.

Thanks in advance, Brian.
    Brian

I now have a very similar issue. The truck has been stood for 8 wks and after charging up the batteries a number of the dash lights no stay on. (Oil, Battery and 2 others)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tom.

Comment

TASR12: possibly a build up of corrosion causing the alternator brushes to stick - causing poor contact with the commutator ring. Try spraying lots of WD40 into the alternator body. Concentrate it towards the back end (opposite end to pulley). Start the engine and see if the lights now extinguish. If not, leave it running, genty tap the alternator casing with something metallic to try and free the brushes.
      I should also add that it would be worth checking the charge voltage first just to confirm you do have an alternator issue!

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I tried that last night in the dark in the hope that it would be a quick fix, no joy but will re attack this mornings in the rain. Where is the fuse for the alternator? I had it on charge yesterday and wonder whether that could have caused an issue. It started 1st time yesterday when I got back to it after 9 wks standing, ran it for 10mins then off. Tried later in the day and it was dead. Charged the batteries and put in a new radio then took it for a spin and dash lights on.
        Checked the Volts and only at 12 with the engine running so I'm thinking it's it he alternator which also got pretty hot when I was wd40ing it last night. If I go for a new one are there any recommendations?
        Pretty typical - I've been looking forward to taking it out for the past 9 wks and the old girl has died, slightly annoyed!

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Tom.

Comment

Ok, saga continues. Tried some more WD40 and a tap on the housing. Tried it again but no change batteries only showing 12.55 (they've been on trickle charge all day) so after one minute killed it to be met with a smouldering alternator?!!!! On inspection One of the 'vent bars' on the main body has snapped and so could be inside the body. If it isn't inside could it be the wd40? Either way I'm now not keen on running it again so effectively I have properly buggered it and now can't move it.
          If I ease the tensioner bolt and slip off the belts this should enable me to atleast move the truck? Do those belts run anything else?
          Any help appreciated, pretty gutted that tinkering late last night may have caused this, atleast prior it would run along as there was charge in the battery! As my wife informed me yesterday in an effort to cheer me up when she could tell I was ####ed off that the Surf was faltering 'don't worry darling it has just turned itself in to a hybrid'!!!
          Not impressed - I've been looking forward to taking the truck out for the past 4 months and now it's been scuppered.
          Cheers,
          Tom.

Comment

Alt refurbed (£90) and now running well pumping out 13+ volts. Thanks to those who replied, hopefully all will remain as is for my return in December.

Comment

Working...
            X