Whats the top relay by your feet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the top relay by your feet ?

Hi i have a 1991 SSR-X 2.4l turbo auto diesel.

When playing around with the relay's above the drivers side fuse box i accidently damaged the top one. I have thoroughly checked it out and the relay seems fine ( i opened it).

Now my symptoms are as follows:

Instrument Panel - Not working
    Rear Window - Not working (from drivers switch only)
    Auto Box - Not changing gears (staying in 1st)
    Gear Stick - Not wanting to get out of park without using the over ride button

I have tested the switch and it's fine, i have tested the part the switch came from and there is no switch power going to it. Only current power.
    Im not sure if it is supposed to get switch power or not tho...

It honestly feels like i have blown a fuse somewhere but i can't find any blown fuses.
    I have the 4runner/hilux manual and these relay's arent in any of the diagrams.

Can someone tell me what this relay is please?
    The one below it is the "main relay".

There are 3 relays and a 30amp fuse next to them. (tested this fuse and it is fine).

IM GOING CRAZY!
    4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Sounds like a fuse to me. Have you checked them all? I think there are three sets. Under the bonnet, behind the panel by the throttle and behind the glove box. No idea what does what, sorry.

Comment

Is there a part number on the relay?

Nev

Comment

OK - so they relay is for the A/C according to Toyota. - $100 AUD

I've tested it and its fine so no point buying another one - the A/C didnt work before this anyway + there is no switch power getting to it.

It really does sound like a blown fuse but my father and i have checked all of the fuses and they are fine.

NOW - here's the thing - there is a fuse for the instrument panel by your feet and its called 'gauges' - there was never a fuse in there and everything was fine.
        I plugged a 10amp fuse in there and the dash lights up working fine however it is permenantly stuck on 'on' (the one after accessories) and makes the 'eeeeeeeeeeeeee' noise to tell my my glow plugs are ready.

This is WITHOUT the keys in it !

Any ideas?????

Comment

The 'eeeeeeeeeeeeee' noise is to tell you your ignition is on, it's nothing to do with the glow plugs. I have no idea why it would sound with the ignition off. Unless it's the door open or lights on warning you're hearing.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

im certain it is to tell me the glow plugs are ready as i read another article on it.

I have to wait for that noise before i start it or it starts rough as guts, wait for the noise = perfect as it is Jap spec and not calibrated to Aussie temperatures.

but there MUST be another fuse somewhere....
            im going totally bonkers here

Comment

Originally posted by Chris QTown View Post
              im certain it is to tell me the glow plugs are ready as i read another article on it.
              It's not, the other article is wrong.

I have to wait for that noise before i start it or it starts rough as guts, wait for the noise = perfect as it is Jap spec and not calibrated to Aussie temperatures.
              It's the ignition on warning buzzer, it just happens to have the same length of timer as the Glow Plug relay. The two are not related in any way, other than the length of their timers.

but there MUST be another fuse somewhere....
              im going totally bonkers here
              Where have you looked?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

hrmm well that IS a coincidence!
                either way it works a treat.

ive looked at all the fuses and relays by drivers feet panel, behind the glovebox and under the hood.

and now i got home and my 2x batteries are dead flat!

wtf is going on with my baby?????

Comment

just to clear, were you playing around with the relays because of your symptoms, or did they happen after you messed about?
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

hey muddle

these symptoms happened AFTER i pulled the relay out.

the only reason i checked that relay was because the A/C didnt work.

now - there are a couple of fuses i havn't checked under the hood.

the bigger 30A ones... ill test this tonight

Comment

The A/C fuses are on the side panel behind the glovebox/speaker.

It sounds like someone has been messing with the electrics in the past and have bypassed the 'Gauge' circuit. The problem will most likely be behind the centre dash section where someone has previously installed an accessory or stereo.

Comment

would it not make sense to just change that relay you damaged to see if it cures it then?

Comment

Bushy -

Yeah i've checked all of them and they're fine
                          I think you're onto something with the bypass theory, but thats out of my league i'll have to take it to an auto-elec's i think.
                          I found a bunch of wiring for an alarm/immobilizer thats not hooked up.

Muddle -

That was my first thought except that relay is just for the A/C and ive had it tested and its fine.

------------

I think the problem may have occured when i plugged the 10A fuse into the gauges socket and it went biserk.

FYI i plugged a pink 10A fuse in and 10secs later when i pulled it out it changed from pink to a dull pink - as tho it were melting!!!!

Comment

could have been for A/C originally but may no longer be the case.

Comment

Fixed

auto elec fixed it for $130.00

previous owner had installed things in the dash and used the brake light wiring for power to run them.
                              disconnected the wiring and truck is working again.

however now the overdrive off dash light turns on and off when in motion..
                              auto elecs gunna do some research on it. u guys ever seen it before?

Comment

Working...
                              X