Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights come on when engine is turned off

A strange one with my 3rd gen...
    turn off engine, lights come on. Turn key back on on, lights go off.
    Also, assuming this doesn't happen and all is normal when I walk away, the lights can come on by themselves leaving me with a flat battery.

Ok so I changed the main headlight relay for a second hand genuine Toyota one too. Same problem a few days later.

I've ordered a new relay from Toyota but I have a sneaky suspicion problem will re-occur.

I don't have HID or any other modification done.

If anyone can help, muchos appreciados...

Ignition switch or barrel? I had a number of e38 7 series BMW's and when the ignition switch went it would set interior lights on, lock doors all sorts of weird stuff.

Comment

Sure it's not a delay to let you see the front door? I've had cars that did that.
      Has it got an alarm anywhere?

Comment

Does it have spotlights fitted? It could be something amiss there if it has.
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yep has alarm fitted but pretty sure that has nowt to do with the problem. The spotlights are the genuine toyota ones that it came with and they turn off, so do the sidelights, it's just the headlights that come on. It seems as if something further back is causing the relays to go. I'll know for sure when I put the brand new one in - if it goes too then I'll know it's not the relays. Might pull a few fuses this weekend and see if I can narrow down the list of possible culprits. Thanks for the help all.
          Richard

Comment

Remember the lights are negative switched, and perminatly live. So any short in the lighting circuit/ignition/switch will turn them on.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Did you sort it out? Because I now have the same problem!

Surf not been used for a few days then yesterday afternoon found the headlights on & battery nearly flat.

The headlights were in the OFF position, but turning them to ON & then OFF cured it. So put it on charge overnight.

Then this afternoon in the space of an hour the headlights are on again! Again cured it by turning the switch to ON then OFF. Must have just happened as it started up fine.

Now afraid to leave it in case headlights are turned on again when I'm not around.

Any ideas please?

Comment

Headlight came on again whilst parked on the drive accompanied by buzzing from the headlight relay. Pulled relay out & lights went out of course.

Plugged it in again & buzzing continued with lights on. Tried 5 mins later & all ok.

I don't want them come on during the night & have a flat battery in the morning. So I've unplugged the relay.

Comment

Working...
                X