Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped

Having a few starting issues!! KZN 185 3.0
    A while back had starting issues with me Surf, follwed all advice with regards to Battery terminals clean and fitting correctly, found out batteries were shot to!! got new ones, Altenator chucking out plenty checked when batteries were installed.
    Leave my Surf for 3 days or more and she is dead! again nothing left on batteries checked again all ok, terminals ok, no loose leads, getting frustrated! Has anyone got a clue where to go next?

That's a big current drain...
    Have you got any aftermarket lights, radio alarm or anything else switchable without the ignition on?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Did the same with mine when I first bought it 5 years ago, turns out i left the fog light one.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
        Did the same with mine when I first bought it 5 years ago, turns out i left the fog light one.
        So, you left the keys in the ignition and switch on?

If not, who wired up the foglight?

Comment

Try chasing the alarm/immobiliser wiring, also check the brake light switch and any other electrical items that are live with the ignition off, It could be some dodgy repair that has failed. Try unplugging the alternator and see if the batteries still drain, that will then rule out the alternator if they still discharge. It will then be a case of chasing all the wiring that isn't standard first, if that checks out then chase the original loom. When all else fails a gallon of petrol and a match might be the answer
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

You need a drain test done, as Wolfracer said, I see a lot of badly fitted radios causing battery drain problems. Seen a few Kenwoods now with the Battery + and Ign + wrongly connected or joined together, they dont power down correctly and you end up with around a 0.7 Amp drain, doesnt sound like much but consider an interior light draws about 0.3 of an Amp and will run a regular car battery down overnight.

You may be best trying to find an auto electrician to do a current drain test for you, and if you find you have a drain it`s always best to start looking at the aftermarket things that are fitted first.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              So, you left the keys in the ignition and switch on?

If not, who wired up the foglight?
              Not me Gov.

It was just hard wired to the battery with a shitty switch.

It is now wired correctly.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, looks like a drain test it is then!! no after market addons other than the old alarm, used the wiring loom from here for the radio!

Comment

Working...
                X