12" sub and amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" sub and amp

so i finally replaced the cd player for a nice 50W pioneer MP3/WMA single din unit and fitted the plastic shelf thingy to cover the remaining space. i was amazed at just how easy it was in the end and it sounds great. i also have a 12" sub in a box and a cheap 2 channel 100W amp but haven't started to install them yet.

where would be the best place to put the amp and take power from to run it?

(those trojan reggae box sets need a little more ooomph!)

will
    black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Hi

Starting doing mine at weekend which involved pulling to pieces looking for holes. I am fitting a 10 disc autochanger 350w 4 chanel amp and 6 x 9's in the rear, already done the fronts.

What I have done so far is removed all the rear panels and the locker bits and the original speakers this gives enough room and more for the above albeit losing the storage space. However if you only want the amp then lose 1.

As for the power the original speakers have their own amps and I am assuming thier own power source but as yet haven't buzzed them out. Need to check cable ratings etc though.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

i ran a 60a cable direct from the battery, through the bulkhead and along with the rest of the rear loom (under the kick panels on the floor). this runs to a connector block behind the rear panel and then into the amps.

there is no need for a switch on this as the amp is turned on and off via the blue amp remote lead from the headunit which will also need to be installed

it's a good idea to use overrated cables and fuses so that if you want, you can use it to power auxillary equipment, such as lights, computer, phone charger, fridge etc.... but as long as it is rated at more than the amp then that will be fine...

edit: and you might find that a 100w amp won't move the 12" sub! mine's 300w and is very tame on a 10"
      Last edited by dabigman; 26 July 2004, 22:55.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I have a Clarion double din head unit, Clarion 10 disc auto changer under the passenger seat, small amp in front of the center console that powers a pair of 10cm sony dash speakers, Pioneer active subwoofer under the drivers seat, and an ancient Alpine amp in the lefthand rear compartment that powers a pair of Sony 13cm compontent speakers in the original rear speaker positions. It all fits quite nicely though the CD changer has a dented top from the weight of people sitting on the seat. The power comes directly from the lefthand battery to a fuse box below the glove compartment. The car has a lot of Dynamat installed in the doors and rear body.

I wanted a pair of 6x9's but I couldn't find anywhere neat to put them and it sounds okey as it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
          I wanted a pair of 6x9's but I couldn't find anywhere neat to put them and it sounds okey as it is now.
          components would be better if you've got a sub... and give a much cleaner sound
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

cheers all.
            i bought a 350W amp this morning and housed it under the passenger seat. i took the power directly from the battery and ran speaker wire through to the sub in the back. it took a couple of hours but well worth the effort.

now i'm going to find it hard to resist some decent rear speakers..
            black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Comment

Working...
            X