Stealth-ish sub install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth-ish sub install...

Pretty rubbish pics, but a but back I built a flush sub enclosure for the truck.

I didn't want massive banging bass, just to thicken out the sound a bit, but without losing any boot space, so I can still deploy my "truckbedz" mattress.

The trim part could have been a little better, as the original cubby hole had to me removed (would be easier to make a neater job on a facelift bit of trim)

It doesn't look much, but it was a fair effort getting the correct volume for the sealed enclosure in that small gap, and fitting an amp too.

I thought I'd share it with you all anyway!

There is a cover on the way... it just hasn't been delivered yet My original plan was to recess it slightly, so I could make a cover and trim it in grey cloth that was flush with the trim, but there is simply not enough depth in the rear wong to get it right.

Other jobs I have done are:

-Fit alpine sat nav unit that works with the touchscreen double DIN unit I fitted before I sold it to Bibbs

-reinstall the TV tuner so it is hidden

-fit a two way remote start pager alarm

- fit DIY heated ming mirrors (write up to follow at some point)

- rewire the spot lights with heavier gauge wire, all neatly made into a removable shrink wrapped loom (for that factroy look and extra robustness)
    Attached Files
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Looks brilliant!
    Another thread bookmarked.

Re: the Ming mirrors, did Flash get them for you?

Comment

Nope, I DIY'd them with motorbike handlebar heaters

I took some pics during the build but my camera died a bit (just before I took the pic of teh heating element fitted). To be wired into the rear screen demister, which is in turn wired into the remote start alarm so if I remote start below a certain temperature, it defrosts too

- and destroyed the three screws at the bottom of the passenger side one, (some muppet had previously rounded them) hence my wanting of a new case! Currently held in with self tappers, but knowing that annoys me, still held firm at and indicated 110 today (on a private track orificer)
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

I'd be interested in heated MING mirrors, pain in the ass in winter, I shall await your write up.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Sorry it's been a long day! (6 hours on a customer site followed by a 5 hour drive home!) A couple of sherberts (really, only a couple) and my typing is even worse than usual!

Edit: I didn't even notice Vince calling them that too!

A bit slow today..... hence posting drivvle all over the place, more so than usual.
          Last edited by Karma Supra; 13 May 2011, 22:17.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Nice job dude!!

Might have a go at that one day..

Comment

Very neat, like it.

How easy is it to get that interior panel off? I am going to put some 12v sockets in the back for the camping fridge and chargers, but usually there is an element of Frank Spencer to factor in, so on this job I'd imagine snapping tabs off or ripping the roof liner down...
              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

nice enclosure
                GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Lovely job Karma. What have you done with the front speakers? Have you got door speakers or some other solution?

Comment

nice enclosure there mate...
                    Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Flounderbout, still working on the rest of the system.

I have a decent 4 channel Pioneer Amp that fits neatly under the driver’s seat (Just!), I have some converters to put 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, and will stick with 6.5" components at the front. I don't want anything to look different from factory when it's all in (didn't have much choice with the sub). I will look into the benefits of building mini driver enclosures into the front doors, but again it will depend on the speaker choice!

I am still deciding what to get to put in these locations. I can't stand the "bright" harsh sounding speakers, which make iPods sound even worse so am looking for something nice and smooth and warm, budgeting under £200 for the fronts about £100 for the backs. Any suggestions?

I'd really like to listen to stuff before I buy but a, don't know anywhere local that can offer that, b, feel like a bit of a berk going to a shop "for a listen". I made the mistake last time buying speakers on online recommendations, bought some Infinity Kappa 6.5" components, they had the exact harsh bright sound that I was trying to avoid!

The truck is already double sound deadened all over the sides, floor, and roof, going to do the doors and tailgate next (I know it's an arse about face way of doing it).

Again I don't want a massive loud sound system, I just want something that is nice on the ears, like listening to honey, not nails at a reasonable volume. The current setup is fatiguing at any reasonable volume over a long period of time, but set it lower and you can't hear anything! - my goal is to get it sounding as good as or better than the factory Harman Kardon system in the M3.

Edit: thinking of these for the front:
                      http://www.mega-watt.co.uk/products....onent-speakers

and mabe these for the rear:
                      http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...22_p-25143.htm

Amp is only 75w x4 RMS
                      Last edited by Karma Supra; 15 May 2011, 12:19.
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

My personal opinion...

Forget the Rear and pay more for the fronts do a nice install with some £Mid range drivers and you will get a nice sound from them.

Make sure you have Separates so you can mount the Twetters in the correct place and all is good.

Comment

ignoring the back comes back to bite you when you have passengers in the rear, if all they can hear is the sub they either want you to turn it up which makes it to loud in the front or turn it off.

Comment

You will always get that .

When I have been more than 2up you have to turn the Radio of anyway's as the conversation just over powers anything.

When the kids are in the back of my truck they always want to chat.

Again its all personal taste and with some decent fronts and with a properly staged front end the rears are completly secondary.

Comment

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X