Gauge Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge Install

Im preparing to install some gauges. ( water temp and ATF temp) I need an " ignition live" and the easiest one to access that Ive come across is the feed for the old hard/soft suspension switch. Is it OK to piggyback from there ? If it makes any difference I dont have the adjustable suspension since installing the + 2 roughtrax sus lift. I,ll also need a headlight/sidelight feed. Is it ok to take that from the fag lighter light connection.?
    Сви можемо

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
    Im preparing to install some gauges. ( water temp and ATF temp) I need an " ignition live" and the easiest one to access that Ive come across is the feed for the old hard/soft suspension switch. Is it OK to piggyback from there ? If it makes any difference I dont have the adjustable suspension since installing the + 2 roughtrax sus lift. I,ll also need a headlight/sidelight feed. Is it ok to take that from the fag lighter light connection.?
    As far as i know Alex the gauges use very little current so it should be ok, on mine i removed the steering columb shroud and used a test light to find an "ign" lead, it' was a thickish wire so in the course of rewiring a load of stuff i connected a lead to this wire and ran it to a fuse box supplying all the live side, then take verious feeds from the other side of the fuses and fit an appropiate fuse, for your purposes tho the wire you found will do fine
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Alternatively, you can cheat like I did and run a positive inline fused feed wire off one of the batteries. Can't advise on the lighting as mine's very jury rigged!!
      Mike G

Comment

Use the +ve from the lighter....

Easy to identify and get to. Plus you can use the light feed from there too as suggested so all your wires run to the same point for neatness!

My CB and TV tuner run from there, and it is "switched" with ignition.

If you want to run from the switched ignition as Popeye suggested, there are two wires to choose from, one is black red (I think?), the other is black yellow. The thick whiteish ones are constant 12v and the blue red is the accessory. Yes it is very sad that is from the top of my head
        Last edited by Karma Supra; 8 April 2011, 23:32.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Thanks all. I ended up taking an accesory live from the radio, and using the fag lighter for a lighting live. Gauges are all in and water temp sender installed. Works fine but I wish Id gone for different gauges ( digital) Too late. not changing them now
          Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks all. I ended up taking an accesory live from the radio, and using the fag lighter for a lighting live. Gauges are all in and water temp sender installed. Works fine but I wish Id gone for different gauges ( digital) Too late. not changing them now
            Nothing wrong with a nice "bling" analog gauge

Comment

Ye those pics look great
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Сви можемо

Comment

very neat job, are those gauges the "smoke lense" ones? I have em and the gauge isn't really visable till you switch on the ign,

Comment

Yes they are Ian, and as I said I dont like them, theyre not easy to see, particularly where I have installed them, Someday I may change them, but for now they will have to stay.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      As far as i know Alex the gauges use very little current so it should be ok, on mine i removed the steering columb shroud and used a test light to find an "ign" lead, it' was a thickish wire so in the course of rewiring a load of stuff i connected a lead to this wire and ran it to a fuse box supplying all the live side, then take verious feeds from the other side of the fuses and fit an appropiate fuse, for your purposes tho the wire you found will do fine
                      Ian

Do you think that using RJ45 cable would be good enough for the signal between Sender units and the displays? the amount of cable on my Boost Gauge and Temp Gauge is little to nothing and getting a multi core cable that will go through the dash into the engine bay is a right pain in the "provebial".

ta
                      Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madmanc View Post
                        Ian

Do you think that using RJ45 cable would be good enough for the signal between Sender units and the displays? the amount of cable on my Boost Gauge and Temp Gauge is little to nothing and getting a multi core cable that will go through the dash into the engine bay is a right pain in the "provebial".

ta
                        Apart from the grommet where all the main cabling goes through, I have another, just above and outboard a bit from that one, where my immobiliser cables go . I managed to run all my cables through that one with no difficulty at all. Im guessing RJ45 would probably be allright as the signal wires are probably no " fatter"
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                        X