brake lights/tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake lights/tail lights

hi ... my tail lights and brake lights have stopped working on the passenger side
    the ones on the right are ok... I believe that both lights work off the same fuse so it cant be that. The bulb sockets were pretty rusty so i cleaned them back to bare metal but still no joy. The indicators on this side still work though.
    One more thing the old bulbs were LCD ones which i have swapped like for like
    hope someone can help..
    cheers

Faulty lights

Kevin,how do.
    Daft question,did you clean the centre contact of each bulb holder,(the bit at the bottom). alan

May have spare in garage,bell me Sat a.m. about 10, 07943 466648
    Last edited by HONEST AL; 9 April 2011, 00:44.

Comment

y

Hi AL ,,,,yeah i cleaned them with sandpaper bare metal..

Comment

Kev,if you have cleaned the contacts ok,swapped the bulbs over side to side to make sure bulbs are OK,would think it can only be the wiring,if not mistaken cables route from front to rear on drivers side(so this cable is ok) then over rear door to passenger side,has it had a rear end nudge at all ?

Try taking the rear lights off completely(with connectors and bulbs,not on their own) and swapping them over side to side,lights wont fit but wiring connectors should be ok.This will eliminate whether light unit(bulb holder) is at fault.

Cant be a break in all wires at the same time,does rear wiper work ok ?

Brake and side lights have same earth on mine,check that back to chassis or install a new wire to test
        Last edited by HONEST AL; 9 April 2011, 10:11.

Comment

Thanks for all your help Al !! i am gonna try go through process of elimination as you suggested although being a total novice at this it may take me some time!!

Comment

As b4,if you get stuck give me a bell,I have a spare set in shed if you want to try them

Comment

I took your advice and dismantled the lights... on doing this i found one of the wires going into the socket was loose i think maybe it was the earth as it went in through a small hole and made contact with the metal on the holder . I cleaned the rust off and the lights worked again!!! the contact dosent seem to be the best as the holder is very rusty but hopefully it will hold out......... anyway thanks for the advice...

Comment

Working...
              X