• Show
Clear All

• help flat batteries time

help please flat batteries time !!!
    3rd gen surf kzn185
    new batteries and starter motor last winter
    had to jump start every other day ! not enought power to start
    now on trickle charge
    shall i take the plunge and get an alternator ?

Once you get it started, are you driving it far enough to put the charge back in to the batteries that was used starting the engine?

Have you checked the output of the alternator?

Have you checked the voltage of the batteries individually?
    One of them may be faulty and draining the other.

Comment

flat batt time

thanks
      yes i drive 15 miles to work and back some fast A n B roads
      i have put a voltmeter on each battery and get about 12.20 volts
      not sure how to test an alternator !!!
      have a multimeter

Comment

If the Alt is ok, get the place you got the batteries to check them, its not unusual to get a duff un'

Thats why battery warrenties are normally pretty good, they do go bad frequently.

The Autoparts Batts I use have been changed hassle free at 18 months and older by dealer.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi I had flat battery due to crancking the engine loads with out starting. I found after getting the fuel problem sorted that starting it was a bit reluctant to start. It turns out the there is an inline fuse in a black rubber holder (10amp) on the passenger side battery. On mine the fuse was melted! Replaced it and now the other battery is working too and its starting a treat.
          May be worth checking.
          l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

flat batts

cheer again
            found the receipts for the batteries so will have a run up the road to the shop
            found an alternator tester
            will defo have a look at 10 amp inline could be that !
            thanks

Comment

hello
              had the optimate on one battery last night and other during today
              seem s ok at the moment and had daughter rev it up while i put the meter on the batteries and got 13.20 off each
              i had a fuse problem a while back and i remember the mechanic saying the alternator was not charging right so maybe its intermitant fault
              also looked for inline 10 A and its not present
              have got a booster pack waiting when i go back to work as back up so will see how we go and buy an alternator on payday
              thanks for help so far
              may look into sources of battery drain tomorrow ! but been fine for ages so if not broken don t fix it my moto

Comment

is 12.2v was with it idling and you only get just over 13v revving then that sounds a little on the low side, turn on light,wipers etc and measure then if it's low it sounds like the voltage regulator on the alternator.
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Working...
                X