Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition problem

Please can anyone help me with this?
    I left my 3.0L auto for a month and then tried to start it but batteries were flat. Tried jump starting them several times with a car but not enough power so then tried with a van. When I connected the jump leads to one of the batteries the starter motor turned over without the ignition being turned on.
    I guess its a short somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Trace
    Last edited by TraceHarris1; 4 October 2010, 22:33.

With what?

We're clever, but not mind readers
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Starter solenoid stuck. Give the starter a clout with a soft faced hammer.
      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 4 October 2010, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceHarris1 View Post
        Please can anyone help me with this?
        I left my 3.0L auto for a month and then tried to start it but batteries were flat. Tried jump starting them several times with a car but not enough power so then tried with a van. When I connected the jump leads to one of the batteries the starter motor turned over without the ignition being turned on.
        I guess its a short somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?
        Thanks.
        Trace
        Thats better... lol.

The solonoid could be jammed down in the starter, or the starter realy on the inner wing might be stuck on.

I'd try clumping the starter with a BFH first, the you need to test the relay or ignition switch.

If you'd been trying to start it with a small battery, the starter solonoid migt have fluttered on and off lots and then arc welded itself shut.

try unplugging the wire that works the solonoid, then if it does it again it must be the starter.

Comment

Sorry ... hit the submit shortcut key by mistake before writing the details

Comment

s'ok, it made me laugh.

Comment

Thanks Tony. Will give it a try
              Trace

Comment

Starter Motor Replacement

My son is changing starter motor on his 1993 2.4 td surf, thought straightforward , remove 3 bolts and remove(as per Haynes Manual) problems he is having with fouling manifold & diesel pump , anyone done this, any tips
                Thanks
                Adrianash
                A J Ashcroft

Comment

Working...
                X