Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g0pey View Post
    HI

Is that antenna supposed to be pre matched ? if so which band i.e uk or europe ?

which channel 20 europe or uk ?

Regards

Bob
    I'd be amazed if the SWR was measurably different across the very small 27MHz CB band, particularly with a hobby meter. Tuning for a central channel should be fine for all.

Pity you're not local Paul. I have some pretty good power meters here...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      I'd be amazed if the SWR was measurably different across the very small 27MHz CB band, particularly with a hobby meter. Tuning for a central channel should be fine for all.

Took your time Andy

Thanks for the post. Bought a new meter and patch lead from Maplins so hopefully it may be a fault with one of them.

Any gratuitous nerd pics to back up you meter claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

In that case Andy, If I'm ever heading to your neck o' the woods I better refit me (Colt 1600 DX) side bander for some serious meter checking !!
        Never made it in 5 years yet, but ya never know !!

Jess
        "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
        Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 24 September 2010, 21:24.
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Haven't got any pics - its the weekend dont ya know - but we have a couple of Agilent's, a couple of HP's and an old Bird Thruline which ace cos its so easy to use and totally reliable.

The Agilent's are by far the coolest though - if a power meter can be cool...

Comment

Think it's sorted. I presumed the star shaped bit that sits underneath the roof would bite into the metal as you tighten it to create a ground but evidently not. Took it off got in there with a rotary tool with a grinder tip and took the area all around the underside of the hole down to bare metal. All seems well according to the cobras built in meter. Now going to drive to a spot away from buildings etc and swr it in properly with the meter.

Thanks for all the help peeps

Comment

See you do half a job to start and then wonder why you have problems later.......
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                See you do half a job to start and then wonder why you have problems later.......
                Its funny 'cos it's true!

All definitely sorted now though! SWR reading 1 on all channels WooHoo!!

As we drove back I had it switched on to channel 19. It was really quiet. I said 'Where is everybody?'
                Quick as a flash, Faye came back with 'I don't know. Back in the 80's?'

How we laughed... as I pushed her gently out of the passenger door!

Comment

The only people who use CB these days seem to be knuckle dragging woolybacks who spend long nights swearing at each other.

Also, if you dont want to be tarred with the 'CB muppet' brush, you tune your antenna for minimum reflected power, rather than 'SWAR it in'. Using that phrase means 'standing wave ratio-ing it in' which makes no technical sense whatsoever.

My apparent moodiness is perhaps triggered by my having a scanner on the CB band for a few minutes on Friday night before reprogramming for marine bands, and hearing a throaty sounding young lady laughing hoarsley about having a sweaty, itchy c**t, and some neandethal sounding northern english rednecks telling her they's be happy to scratch it for her using various implements - which was met with more hoarse laughter and smokers hacking cough.

Nice...

Comment

All of which I wouldn't mind but why do they all seem to do it on channel ###### 19??? Christ I was young but even I remember that that was where you went to pick up a copy then agree on a channel to continue on- now all the six toes are on there! Had the pleasure of listening to the man with the most tedious voice in the world explain to his lady friend all about his coffee machine and why its so much better than his last one. Fascinating stuff!

'least it works now though

Comment

Yeah, you'll get into the habit of never turning it on unless you're playing offroad with others with CBs.

Comment

ha!!!! i was right it was a poor earth
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X