Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Xenon conversion kits, 3Gen

HID Xenon conversion kits, 3Gen

An excellent upgrade and very easy to install.

Products
    1 x Ultra H4-3 Hi/Lo Beam 35w HID kits
    - Choose ballast type: Premium 35w
    - Color Temperature: 4300k £64.99

Ordered from:
    http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-con...its-p-260.html

The kit arrived the day after ordering and I received an email that morning giving the 1hour slot that it was delivered in.

The kit has a high quality feel and comes with everything needed.

However the instruction manual supplied with mine was not for the kit I received. It looked like it was for an earlier model. Also it was written like it had been translated through 5 different languages before English.

Providing you either get the correct manual or ignore the wrong one the install should take less than 1 hour.

Ignore the red cable, nothing to do with the HID kit.
    The green in line fure shown comes with the kit.

The photos show how the kit looks installed.

The rubber cover on the back of the headlight needs to be cut as the lamp assembly is bigger than a standard H4 lamp.
    Using a pair of scissors or a knife cut the ribbed section off the case leaving a few mm of the ribbed section protruding. This enables the rubber to be stretched over the lamp.
    Remove the shield from the lamp by unscrewing the two small screws holding the assembly on. Then re assemble once rubber cap is pulled over. Try and avoid contact with the lamp as this can reduce the lifespan.

The Hi / lo beam dash board light will work if either the relay is altered to accommodate the surfs negative switching. Or as I have temporary done one of the H4 lamps is fitted to the spare socked. The relay supplied with the kit is in a sealed unit and not loose as the manual says. Therefore cannot be altered for negative switching as the manual indicates. I have contacted the supplier regards this and will update hopefully soon.

The beam pattern is much better than I expected, and nobody has flashed me so it must be ok for oncoming traffic.

The only problem is that the side lights now look yellow in comparison so have ordered some LED lamps to replace these.

As the photos show the quality of light is excellent, I only wish I had installed them earlier.

All in all £65 well spent.

A general discussion regarding the kit was here:
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=65597
    If it can be broken it can be fixed

Excellent!
    At the moment I've got the opposite, mega bright LED sidelights and normal H4 headlights.

p.s. you took a while passing that van, your truck could do with a V8!

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of a pair of these.http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=733&vid=976

Or am i wasting my money.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Bushwhacker, would love a V8 I have the LED sidelights on order, should arrive any day now

Si Tate, I considered the Roughtrax lamps but after searching on here decided against them as the poor lights are more down to the stock wiring rather than the lamp. That was the impression I got from reading the threads. So I opted for a mod that included a new wiring loom.
        Last edited by mckirdy-services; 20 September 2010, 23:26.
        If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

Righto, might give them a miss.

I have the LED side lights & they look great, they make my headlights look yellow thats why i want to change them.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

4 years ago i know, but is the vendor in the 1st post still a good supplier, or have people found better HID kits form anyone else?

Which kit would fit the gen2:

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categor...y-bulb-type/h4

and which LED side lights are people using?

Cheers

James
            Last edited by Trunks; 19 November 2014, 01:03.

Comment

Didn't he take them out in the end?

IIRC, (and correct me if I am wrong) the conclusion was that with the standard headlamp lenses, after fitting HID bulbs the beam pattern is dispersed too much to get a reliable beam for the MOT.

You need the clearer, "Crystal" lens headlamps that were fitted to later gen 3's (99/00 onwards?) and they are, last time I looked, £255 a side on ebay.

You could take a punt on the US 4Runner ones off ebay.com but none of the vendors I asked could confirm if they will work in the UK on RHD vehicles (maybe the internal reflector is moulded for LHD?).

KarmaSupra found some Russian ones recently but again, the LHD/RHD issue is there.
              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I don't think its legal to fit them o a surf unless you have the hight adjustable head lamps.
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

You can tell it was past midnight when I posted, mines a 2nd Gen anyway!

Either way, is it going to result in an not isue?

Maybe I should just upgrade the wiring?

Comment

Working...
                  X