Gauge wiring / electical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge wiring / electical help

I would like to wire up a couple of guages to the power so that when the headlights are on OR on with main beam that the gauge is illuminated.
    The previous owner of my old Surf wired it up in such a way that the gauge illuminated with side or dipped headlights, but when needing full beam the gauge went out.

As I never fitted or removed any gauges to a Surf at all, are there any pointers as to where to connect a feed from? I'm going to connect up three gauges in total.

Thanks in advance!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Wire them to the radio dimmer circuit (live when the lights are on) via a relay.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sounds to me like they are connected to the dipped beam circuit, Ideally you want them powered via the side light circuit.

You should be able to identify the wiring coming out of the switches at the steering column.

let me know if you want colour codes and I'll dig them out

Damn I need to type quicker

Comment

Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Wire them to the radio dimmer circuit (live when the lights are on) via a relay.

Get ready for the next obvious question.

Comment

Thanks although not sure about relays, thanks for the info about wires in the steering column.

Do I need to go and buy a multimeter to check which is the sidelights?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Get ready for the next obvious question.
              Is facebook worth it?
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Found the perfect wire. In the right kick panel, there is a whiteish box with a lot of fuses and connectors (I'm missing a fuze and there is power going to the bit thats missing - could this be why I have no cigarrette lighter?).

There is a big silver cylindrical thing thats on this box. Not sure if it's a relay or whatever, but when you turn the lights on and off I think the click is rom this. There is a white multiplug that connects in immediately to the left of this. On this plug there is a large white wire, to the left of that there is two small green ones. The outermost green wire is only 12v Live when BOTH the ignition AND headlights are on, and begins with side lights all through to main beam.

The only bad point about this wire is that it's only an inch long and its up behing the fuel cap release switch. I tried to strip it to join the live to the gauge and accidentally cut through it - then spent the next hour trying to get some red crimps back on and secured.
                That was after neatly stripping the wrong wire

Does anyone have any info on that fuze boxy type thing? I didn't even know there was one there. I would like to know what fuze is missing before putting one in, in case it has been removed for other reasons.. It seams to be live regardless of key position, not sure if thats how the cigarrette lighter works.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X