Head Lights on all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Lights on all time

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction. My headlights are on all the time on my MK3 Surf when the engine is switched off. If I turn the sidelights on the headlights go off. The door open light also periodical comes on and off on the dashboard and the remote key fob works intermittently.

Any pointers appreciated.

Electrics are witchcraft to me mate, I'd take it to an auto electrician.

Damian
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Can you describe it a bit more. Are the headlights on all the time and wont go off when the ignition is off or do they come on when the ignition is switched off?

Have you had anything done to the Surf recently or has it just started doing it all of a sudden?

It sounds like the combination switch (With the lights on) is knackered. I cant see another explanation looking at the drawing.

I don't think the other faults are related. I assume the door open light is for the rear door and is probably just the door contacts need cleaning.

Key fobs - change battery.

Rich.

If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

The door open light on the dash of a 3rd gen lights up if any of the 5 doors are open and also if the rear mounted spare isn't latched properly. Is that different from a 2nd gen then?

The keyfob for the factory central locking has absolutely no effect if the system thinks that a door is open.... so that potentially links those two problems (would replace the batts first though as this is simple and obvious).

Don't know about the headlights tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          The door open light on the dash of a 3rd gen lights up if any of the 5 doors are open and also if the rear mounted spare isn't latched properly. Is that different from a 2nd gen then?

I have only ever noticed the rear door one - will have to have a look now!

The keyfob for the factory central locking has absolutely no effect if the system thinks that a door is open.... so that potentially links those two problems (would replace the batts first though as this is simple and obvious).

That makes sense, I don't have such a luxury factory fitted on mine

Don't know about the headlights tho.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

headlamps on

has this just started happening out of the blue or have you just had tow bar rear fog light or anything else just fitted?when your ignition is off and the headlamps come on what happens when you switch between low & high beam with the stalk do the headlamps go off on high beam? also i would unplug your rear fog light switch just in case its wired incorrect

Comment

Working...
            X