Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gremlins...

Hi all,
    Got some weird things happening with the window & central locking electrics.

Sometimes the drivers window won't work at all, sometimes it works just fine, for example, on the way to the supermarket today it worked, on the way home, nothing. Sometimes the rear passenger window won't work either.
    They either work totally fine or not at all, it doesn't go down & get stuck, or eventually go down after repeatedly hitting the button.
    I was wondering if it's the master switch unit, so I took it out and gave it a damn good clean, but it's still the same. Could there be a problem with the circuit board in the switch unit?
    Any ideas, it's driving me nuts!

It's usually a break in the wiring where it passes from door to body in the rubber conduit.

Do the rear windows work OK off their own switches?

Comment

also have a look at all the electrical multi plugs in the drivers and passengers footwells to make sure they are connected fully
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        It's usually a break in the wiring where it passes from door to body in the rubber conduit.

Do the rear windows work OK off their own switches?
        Just tried this at lunch, again rear window wasn't working from the drivers switch, though it did work from the passenger switch, once I did that it worked fine from the drivers switch...

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
          also have a look at all the electrical multi plugs in the drivers and passengers footwells to make sure they are connected fully
          I'll have a look after work at these, see if there's anything obvious.
          Cheers

Comment

I've replace 2 or 3 3rd Gen window control panels, the connections under the switches burn out.

Try a used panel form a breaker truck.

I've repaired one as well, but its a bit fiddley, easier to just change the unit
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              I've replace 2 or 3 3rd Gen window control panels, the connections under the switches burn out.

Try a used panel form a breaker truck.

I've repaired one as well, but its a bit fiddley, easier to just change the unit
              I did give the unit a good clean out on Friday, there were a few carbon build ups on some contacts (fiddley job alright!), but it was still the same when I put it back.
              But... It's totally random, and all seems to be Ok at the moment!!

I'll certainly keep an eye out for a spare unit though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Finally fixed the window, and low & behold Bushwhacker gets 10 points!

My front windows are wired up to the alarm system, so if they are down and you lock the doors with the key fob they automatically close. The wire causing the issue was one that goes to the unit that does this, it was bare and was shortin(nightmare to find as it was a DIY job by one of the previous owners!), I also has a slight issue with the driver master control switch where by it wouldn't work unless full depressed or fully lifted. So the window would always go fully down or fully up.
                So long story short, fixed the shorting wire, replaced the control switch and jobs a gooden!
                Chuffed to bits as it's bleedy hot at the mo, and the lack of drivers window was doing me nut it!!

Comment

Working...
                X