Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen remote central locking

Hi
    Has anyone successfully fitted an after market remote locking module to replace the one found under the driver's seat on a 3rd Gen?
    Failing that does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 3rd Gen remote locking module plug? A search on this site reveals the colours for a 2nd Gen, which of course aren't the same for the 3rd Gen!
    Any help/information gratefully received!
    Keith

Remove the drivers kick panel (3 screws + a 10mm bolt) there's a small white plug lower right from this it's Red/White for Lock and Red/Yellow for Unlock, heres a pic taken looking through the little removable fuse box panel.
    Attached Files
    Neal

Comment

Thanks Neal for your swift reply. I never thought of looking behind the kick panel as I assumed that the black box under the driver's seat was the central locking module.
      What is the black box for then? If it is to do with central locking do in need to remove the plug from it before installing the after market module?
      What are the other cables for on that white plug? Do any of them give a constant +ve feed or a connection to sidelights or horn?
      Am I right in thinking that the Surf uses a -ve trigger for the central locking?
      Sorry for all the questions but you sound like you have done the job before, or at least know how it should be done!!
      Thanks again for your help.
      Last edited by s2-wolf; 15 April 2010, 09:16.
      Keith

Comment

You'll find something called 'door control module' behing the kick panel. This is where I fitted my remote years ago.

Try a search, you might even find my 'how to' thread. Its easily 4 or 5 years ago though!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hi Apache
          Thanks for the info. I did a search a few days ago and found your "How to" post but thought that it referred to a 2nd Gen as the 3rd Gen has the black box under the driver's seat - or am I wrong?
          By the way your pics don't work any more - probably due to upgrades to the forum or a change of server. Don't suppose you've still got them on your computer?
          Keith

Comment

I've changed PCs several times since then!

See if there's any markings on the box under the seat. Maybe the door control unit is there on the 3rd gens?
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf View Post
              Thanks Neal for your swift reply. I never thought of looking behind the kick panel as I assumed that the black box under the driver's seat was the central locking module.
              What is the black box for then? If it is to do with central locking do in need to remove the plug from it before installing the after market module?
              What are the other cables for on that white plug? Do any of them give a constant +ve feed or a connection to sidelights or horn?
              Am I right in thinking that the Surf uses a -ve trigger for the central locking?
              Sorry for all the questions but you sound like you have done the job before, or at least know how it should be done!!
              Thanks again for your help.
              I did use Apache's thread which gave me a lot of insite, it was just a case of applying this to the 3rd gen.
              I don't have the black box under the seat which is why I tapped into the wiring from this plug (those two are the wires that come from the lock/unlock overide button on the drivers door card). I used the indicator lights for mine which is the Green/Yellow (off side) and Green/Black (near side) from the steering wheel stalk or you could tapp into the hazzard light switch (there are no wires that connect to the lights from this plug other than to illuminate the buttons on the door card), and yes, it's a negative system.
              It's not a difficult job to do, it was just a case of preparation, finding out where the wires were and colours + how to get to them before starting the job.
              I've used some white plastic temp conduit from maplins to hold my wiring in place, once finished installing a few other bits and peices the whole lot will be tapped up following existing toyota wiring lines, will make for a neater job, just a thought.
              Last edited by Shalershasker; 16 April 2010, 15:48.
              Neal

Comment

Thanks again for the info Neal.
                I have located the plug by the fuse box and identified the cables that you refer to. I have enquired on the Australian Surf forum to see if anyone has a wiring diagram or a list of pin outs for the box under the seat so that I can replace the Toyota box with my after market one. If nothing is forthcoming I will do the job as you suggest and tape off the under seat connector.
                Odd that your 3rd Gen didn't have the module under the seat - I thought it was standard fit on all 3rd Gens. Do you have a plug under there where a box may have been?
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf View Post
                  Thanks again for the info Neal.
                  I have located the plug by the fuse box and identified the cables that you refer to. I have enquired on the Australian Surf forum to see if anyone has a wiring diagram or a list of pin outs for the box under the seat so that I can replace the Toyota box with my after market one. If nothing is forthcoming I will do the job as you suggest and tape off the under seat connector.
                  Odd that your 3rd Gen didn't have the module under the seat - I thought it was standard fit on all 3rd Gens. Do you have a plug under there where a box may have been?
                  Nope, all I've got under my seat is a 6" heater fan for warming my cold bum in the mornings .
                  Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                    Nope, all I've got under my seat is a 6" heater fan for warming my cold bum in the mornings .
                    A damn sight more use than a central locking module that doesn't work.
                    Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X