Rear Window opens on it's own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window opens on it's own...

I went into work the other day, 8 hours later I came out and found my rear window open about halfway. I could easily open it more but it would not close easily. I stopped in town for a pint and when I came out it was completely open.

I stopped at a my buddy's house and we had a look inside at the relays, motor etc and were stumped. The relays were switching all by themselves. We unplugged both switches and they were still switching. At some point I grabbed the rear window defrost wires and gave them a wiggle... the relays started switching like crazy. Found the short in the rear defroster making the window go down. That sounded really weird to me that the defroster and the down relay were connected but reading some other posts I have realized that your defroster should not work when the window is down... that makes sense.

My defroster hadn't worked since I bought the truck. I realized that one of the wires had come off the window. With the short in the wire I just snipped out the bad portion and taped the ends.

I am just recording this odd situation so someone else doesn't go through the hours of hunting for a bad ground(earth)...

Darryl
    Ontario Canada
    1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

You should not drink and drive, its bad for your surf

Comment

Stopping in for 1 after work with the crew. not bad.. That was all I could have as I needed to tend to my window problem and they have just tightened the drinking and driving laws in Ontario. I dare not have any more than one any more. 0.05mg down from 0.08mg.

Darryl
      Ontario Canada
      1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

So did snipping those wires cause the window to go down, or did it fix the demister? My demister also doesnt work, have been meaning to get round to it..
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

snipping the wires stopped the demister from working. It also stopped my window from opening on it's own.. I may replace the wires with new ones to get the demister working again someday...

Darryl
          Ontario Canada
          1993 Hilux Surf KZN130

Comment

Rear demist?

Your truck has a rear demist?! Can't say I ever actually noticed if mine has one or not.

Without the A/C turned on, mine feels like a microwave oven 99% of the time anyway! :-P

Jon

Comment

Working...
            X