Possible starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible starting problem

Went out yesterday and this morning. Went to start her up and just got one click,nothing else. Turned ignition off,switched back on,same again. Third time started no problem. I tried starting it up during the day and no problem. It seems it happens when left overnight or a long period. The two batteries are only about 6 months old. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Toyota surf 3.0D 1995

Originally posted by flyeruk View Post
    Went out yesterday and this morning. Went to start her up and just got one click,nothing else. Turned ignition off,switched back on,same again. Third time started no problem. I tried starting it up during the day and no problem. It seems it happens when left overnight or a long period. The two batteries are only about 6 months old. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    sounds like bad starter motor contacts also check all connections are tight from the battery to starter motor.
    cheers shaun
    NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

Comment

next time it does it keep the ignition switch turned fully to start and pull the shift in to neutral. If it starts in neutral then it will be the parking switch. If it don't start then its more than likely the starter contacts.
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Yep, starter contacts almost 100% certainty.

There's a couple of write ups one here on sorting it out yourself. The better on them by yours truly
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for the replies,i will get it looked at tomorrow. Im just curious about one thing, if it is the starter contacts,why does it only happen when left overnight or a long period? As i said before,i can leave it 3 or 4 hours and it starts every time.
          Toyota surf 3.0D 1995

Comment

a) Moisture
            b) fresh corrosion
            c) slightly less battery voltage
            d) all of the above

Comment

I think i might just replace the whole starter motor if thats the case. Does anybody have the part numbers for a new one? I think ADL do one.
              Toyota surf 3.0D 1995

Comment

No really, no need. It will cost you £200 plus when you can fix it for £30 odd.

Comment

Apache's right, there is very little need to bin the starter, the contact repair kit is all you normally need.

Save your money for fuel....
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Happy to do the job for £60 + return postage

Comment

Working...
                    X