Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Speakers

Hi All

A previous owner has cut out circles in the dash and mounted alpine speakers flush on the plastic. It doesn't look too bad but the speakers are k-nackered.

So....I'm wondering to just buy a set of JBL 4" speakers and replace or, as the damage has been done buy 5" ones and if necessary widen the hole slightly....

My concern is that it will end up looking naff if I make the speakers bigger (the 4" alpines exactly cover the plastic mesh and kinda match the look)....

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks

I guess if the damage is done, there's 3 optins:

1. Get new panels off a breaker (Stormforce and others on here could get them easily for you) either with original speakers in them or put new speakers in the original place
    2. Put new speakers in, as close in shape to what you're taking out as possible
    3. Put something even bigger in

If it was me, I'd go for 1 or 2, since the reason the speakers are knackered is presumably because they are exposed? So why go with the hassle of putting bigger, more expensive ones in exactly the same way? Of course a straight replacement to get something working might be the fastest and easiest solution.
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Hi There

The ones that were in there just sound like they've been cranked up to 150% and subjected to 240 hours of drum and bass. I don't think damage would be an issue. I would prefer the whole dash to look stock but also would prefer to fit whatever would sound best.

The thing that always used to annoy me about car speakers was that unless you were mounting to a box or acoustic shelf, that neither the plastic you mount to is very rigid or the encapsulation of the rear of the speaker was ever any good....

On a slightly different subject, the previous owner has also screwed shut two panels either side in the back, just further back from the actual speakers and then mounted 6x9s onto the plastic. I always hated 6x9s and thought. I would rather fit something into the original locations in the back....

Comment

i got something that you may want to fit in your truck.
        I got 2 amps fitted in the rear cubby holes,2 speakers fitted to where the original rear speakers were,1 subwoofer 2 speakers for the front and all the wire and cable you need to connect them up.£150 plus p&p
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Tempting but I'm afraid those days are over for me. 4 speakers and a headunit are enough for the time being.....

Comment

Originally posted by solidpro View Post
            Tempting but I'm afraid those days are over for me. 4 speakers and a headunit are enough for the time being.....
            i know what you mean. as long as i got a bit of volume on the stereo while on a long drive then i'm ok but i don't like it booming out tho
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I'd fit new dash trim myself. Then either go for 4" speakers in the original locations or bigger ones in the doors (might need some fabrication)

I have a pair of the rear speakers with the factory amps in good condition if you're interested.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
              X