keeps cutting out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeps cutting out!!

i have a 1990 2.4 td 2LT it was running perfect till this morning. Now it starts runs for a few seconds then cuts out, if you keep the revs up it will run allbeit rough but as soon as go back to idle it cuts out. any help would be great.

cheers

baz

have you noticed diesel on the floor under truck? possible split pipe drawing air in
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      have you noticed diesel on the floor under truck? possible split pipe drawing air in
      Possibly split vacuum hose or the EGR is knackered, if it ain't blocked off do it just to see if it makes a difference.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by bazz
        i have a 1990 2.4 td 2LT it was running perfect till this morning. Now it starts runs for a few seconds then cuts out, if you keep the revs up it will run allbeit rough but as soon as go back to idle it cuts out
        baz
        Amateur advice here but I reckon you might have a loose injector or a leak like Marky said. If you now have to crank a lot to start it then the leak might be before the fuel pump, if you dont have to crank hard then it should be above it somewhere
        I was in your boat last week and found the best way to examine the injector area was in the dark with a work-light in your hand. Best to remove the air intake pipe too - just loosen the big jubilee clip on the pipe to the left of the rocker cover, lift off the air filter box lid and remove the whole section in one piece (box lid and pipe).
        Check your big silver injector pipe nuts but also the brownish 17mm nuts just below those coz the brown one was the cause of my probs (see pic)

Did you run low on juice lately, have you changed your fuel filter lately??
        Let us know how you get on am v interested...
        Last edited by JimL; 27 September 2003, 20:01.

Comment

keeps cutting out!! still

thanks for the replies, but the problem is electrical as i spent a couples of hours under the bonnet yesterday and found that as the revs drop below 1000 rpm the the power to the stop solenoid on the pump is lost, but if you give it a good thrash up the road it will run fine.

cheers

baz

Comment

thanks for the replies, but the problem is electrical as i spent a couples of hours under the bonnet yesterday and found that as the revs drop below 1000 rpm the the power to the stop solenoid on the pump is lost, but if you give it a good thrash up the road it will run fine.

cheers

baz
            Baz.

Have you checked the alternator output - the elcetrics will generally run mainly on the alternator while the engine is running. You may still have enough power in the battery to start but below 1000 the power output may be lost. Alternatively how about a bad earth. You might want to connect a good earth to the stop solenoid (not sure what this is but you mentioned it) to see if that is the problem.

I'll try and copy my diagrams out of the manual then scan them in, I'll need to wait till I go into work tomorrow to copy them then I'll scan them in tomorrow night or Wednesday. Sorry can't do quicker but I don't have a flatbed scanner - it's a fax type one.

Cheers

Comment

thanks for the ideas about the alternator i have a look tonight, if you could e-mail the diagrams that would be excellent

cheers

baz

Comment

thanks for the ideas about the alternator i have a look tonight, if you could e-mail the diagrams that would be excellent

cheers

baz
                I'll take the manual into work tomorrow.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

help me please!

I have to drive to Kiddeminster and back tomorrow and the Surf has started running rough tonight. It wont idle smoothly and has conked out in park a couple of times earlier tonight.
                  It ran low on juice yesterday but now has full tank so im hoping it could be that? Fuel filter been in less than 2000kms. Tried thrashing it to clear it but still idles badly and ocassionly skips a beat at 1-2000revs, sounds rough on overrun too.
                  Maybe its bad injectors??? It drove fine the other 200miles ive done this week although seems a bit heavy on fuel to me.
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

cheers
                    baz
                    You may be on the right track with the Fuel Stop Solenoid.As you have a 2L-T then unlike a 2 L-TE you can run a temporary wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive on the solenoid to see if things improve.If it then runs ok then there is your problem.If you do this the wire will need to be disconnected to stop the engine because it will still be supplying power when ignition is switched off.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      I have to drive to Kiddeminster and back tomorrow and the Surf has started running rough tonight. It wont idle smoothly and has conked out in park a couple of times earlier tonight.
                      It ran low on juice yesterday but now has full tank so im hoping it could be that? Fuel filter been in less than 2000kms. Tried thrashing it to clear it but still idles badly and ocassionly skips a beat at 1-2000revs, sounds rough on overrun too.
                      Maybe its bad injectors??? It drove fine the other 200miles ive done this week although seems a bit heavy on fuel to me.

Tim, have you tried the EGR, if its stuck it will give these symptons. Bad tick over, hesitant on acceleration. If you already have it disconnected then check what everyou used to block it off is still there etc.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

EGR was still blocked.... AA man just came and did get it started whilst adding to Londons pullution problems!
                        He says either Injectors knackered of injector pumo but thinks this is unlikely as it still runs.
                        Im hoping injectors have finally gone, my fuel has been disappearing fast recently!
                        How much and where from??? New prices or recons... how many do i need?

Still at least I get free recovery from home.
                        Tim

Comment

.... AA think injectors more than pump.. my mechanic thinks pump more than injectors although he hasnt looked at it yet

Originally posted by dirtydog
                          EGR was still blocked.... AA man just came and did get it started whilst adding to Londons pullution problems!
                          He says either Injectors knackered of injector pumo but thinks this is unlikely as it still runs.
                          Im hoping injectors have finally gone, my fuel has been disappearing fast recently!
                          How much and where from??? New prices or recons... how many do i need?

Still at least I get free recovery from home.
                          Tim

Comment

Right fingers crossed it gets looked at tomorrow... how much would a pump be if its that?
                            I spoke to dieselbob and he said £30-40 ish quid each depending on quality. I suppose it would be best to get all 4 changed at the same time?
                            Do i have to send injectors off for exchange or can I order them right away - might give Toyota a tinkle, I tried on Sat but think they were watching the horses
                            Tim

Comment

wouldn't listen to the AA!... my sister called from Aberdeen with a bad noisy engine, i told her to turn it off cos thought it was the cam belt!...

AA diagnosed something to do with drive shaft!!!... drove it onto back of truck... tow to garage...

Garage have a look... only 15 teeth left on cambelt!!

if i can tell that 600 miles away on the phone, then why can't the !!!!!! in a yellow van tell when he's looking at it??
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X