Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immobiliser malfunction

Hi
    Don't know if my imoboliser is an aftermarket fitment or an OE Toyota one but something is giving me problems. After putting the widget in the hole the immobilser is usually disabled - lights come on, engine starts, but recently the lights have been coming on but the engine, she no start! Is this the immobiliser or the starter solenoid?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Originally posted by bundubasher
    Hi
    Don't know if my imoboliser is an aftermarket fitment or an OE Toyota one but something is giving me problems. After putting the widget in the hole the immobilser is usually disabled - lights come on, engine starts, but recently the lights have been coming on but the engine, she no start! Is this the immobiliser or the starter solenoid?
    If its the starter you should generally hear a click as it tries to turn over as you turn the key, sticky starter. If its the immobiliser you won't hear anything as this cuts the power to it, so it won't even try to turn over.
    See if its getting voltage to the starter when you turn the key, if no voltage it could well be the immobiliser.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

sounds like the immobiliser to me. my 92 surf was doing the same thing about 3 months ago and i found i was getting no voltage at all the the starter solenoid. Tracked it down to a faulty relay on the alarm systems control board. hope this helps mate
      BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

No clicking - just silence, nothing...but the dash warning lights are on so part of the immobiliser system is working. Therefore is this intermitent break between the immobiliser and the starter solenoid? I've wired up PTOs but not being an auto-sparks I'm abit lost with anything more serious!
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by AUSSIESURF
          Tracked it down to a faulty relay on the alarm systems control board.
          Thanks Aussiesurf, I started to think that too - might look at Carwoods or somebody to replace the basic, (1994) starter only disabling, immobiliser with something more modern as I'm heading to the capital of car theft: Johannesburg. They'll have to remove the Toyota OE alarm as well - anyone recomend a good unit / installer? And can I get the old unit ouit myself without disabling my car permanently?
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

no problem mate!
            BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AUSSIESURF View Post
              sounds like the immobiliser to me. my 92 surf was doing the same thing about 3 months ago and i found i was getting no voltage at all the the starter solenoid. Tracked it down to a faulty relay on the alarm systems control board. hope this helps mate
              Hi Aussiesurf.

I know this was many moons ago but how did you track it to the relay on the alarm systems control board . I have a problem on a different thread 'Engine cut ou engine speed senor seepage' but think it may be the immobiliser.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry my reply was rubbish..so edited it.
                Last edited by Overland Tonka; 11 December 2014, 12:21. Reason: old thread Doh!!
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Overland Tonka ..... I don't understand you response.

I'm tring to understand how Aussiesurf tracked the fault to the immobiliser relay on a specific board in the immobiliser.

Cheers

Comment

Don't know if this helps.

http://www.bridgwater-electronics.co...1-touch-key/p8

The link goes to the key thingy but the company is the original supplier, so the phone number on their 'contact us' page may bring positive results?

Just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X