no indicators on 3 series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no indicators on 3 series

i have a problem with my indicators and rear lights while towing my trailer, the indicators while working started to faulter and then stop completely during which a slight smell of burning could be smelt (cross between pvc and bakerlite) since checking all the lights not only have the indicators packed up but so has the rear lights and fog light , the brake lights work fine, the hazards when switched on work ok the flasher unit situated behind the dash fuse panel seems to be working ok so i turned my attention to the lighting stalk which upon removal and checking with a multi meter found that the indicator switch part was working ok so am at a loss as to what to look for (as all the fuses in both boxes are ok)other than a secondary relay somewhere, but where do i look ?

3 series what?
    I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
      i have a problem with my indicators and rear lights while towing my trailer, the indicators while working started to faulter and then stop completely during which a slight smell of burning could be smelt (cross between pvc and bakerlite) since checking all the lights not only have the indicators packed up but so has the rear lights and fog light , the brake lights work fine, the hazards when switched on work ok the flasher unit situated behind the dash fuse panel seems to be working ok so i turned my attention to the lighting stalk which upon removal and checking with a multi meter found that the indicator switch part was working ok so am at a loss as to what to look for (as all the fuses in both boxes are ok)other than a secondary relay somewhere, but where do i look ?
      Have a look at the connector and wiring on the trailer, also the plug on the car, most faults are always with these, as people leave trailers out , damp etc, plus the connector hangs on the back, water damp plus road debris damage, and wires hanging down, hope it helps.
      www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

well here i am IOTW !!!!as i said i checked the fuses visually but today I went through them with my multi meter and the two fuses in question were blown replaced them, all ok. and like greecysurf has suggested it was the cable on the trailer, it had been damaged causing a short on the indicators and rear light circuit , so thanks for the replies, next time i will investigate more thoroughly before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
          well here i am IOTW !!!!as i said i checked the fuses visually but today I went through them with my multi meter and the two fuses in question were blown replaced them, all ok. and like greecysurf has suggested it was the cable on the trailer, it had been damaged causing a short on the indicators and rear light circuit , so thanks for the replies, next time i will investigate more thoroughly before posting.
          Glad you got it fixed mate, and we all forget those bits, done it myself,
          www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Working...
          X