Help-Key stuck in Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help-Key stuck in Ignition

Have recently had problems removing key from ignition when switching off. I have removed the barrel and cleaned/oiled but that has not worked. The problem is intermitant, and is always when it is most inconvenient. I have read that when the batteries are disconnected, if the key then releases, then this proves it is the Solenoid. Can anyone tell me where this is going to be, either at the lock barrel end or the gear selector lever end, what it looks like and how easy is it to change.
    Last edited by will.b; 24 September 2009, 12:45.

The key will only come out if the truck is in Park or Neutral.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      The key will only come out if the truck is in Park or Neutral.
      mine comes out regardless of what gear its in could just be the inside workings of the barrel arnt very good and are sticking, are you using a new key or an original toyota one?
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

It shouldn't!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm presuming that you're in park when you have this problem. If so have you tried all the techniques listed in the threads at the bottom of this page. I remember others having problems like this, but can't remember if a diffinative solution was found.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Tried everything

Thanks for the replies, I have had my Surf over 5 years now, so do know the basics. I have also checked in the forums for information, but to no avail. When I disconnected the batteries, the key does release, so there is an electrical switch, solenoid or relay involved. Does anybody know how to check? fix etc Thanks in advance

Comment

Sorry this is the only referance I can find.

"Yup looked through the links (Handy that feature, search functoin didn't bring them up!) - I'll check for some sort of mechanism around the gear lever at "park". I figure it must be a microswitch or something...

- if I deconect the battery it goes to lock and comes out fine.

I'll look on EPc now adn see if there are any parts shown

Edit:

All sorted now.... I fiddled took things apart, put them back together and it seemed to work....... I think the button you press on the top of the lever was sticking down and not popping up properly."

I'm positive I've read more about this problem over the years, but it's just not coming to mind.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Hmmmmm. Looks like I've got to take a look at mine as well then since my key will only release while Park is selected, it won't release while in gear which I can understand but it won't release while in Neutral either, it's been like this since I got it so thought that was just the way it is. Oh well, dash off again, am getting quite quick at this now.
                Neal

Comment

the truck needs to be in park to release the key.All the breakers i've had have been the same and the 2 trucks i have had also
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Fair enough, I'll leave as is then, cheers for that.
                    Neal

Comment

just had the same problem. resolved it by removing
                      the solenoid under the ignition switch (held on by 2
                      screws) and no problems now.other than i can remove
                      ignition key in any position now

cheers
                      sherbet

Comment

Working...
                      X