Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window - Checking Info found on here

hey all

not been on here for a while, glad to see it's still such a great source of info

The rear window on my Surf Gen 2 stopped working the other day (just before I spent the weekend helping my g/f move into my house which was typical!)

Been searching round on here for some info, I've checked the window lock and that the rear wiper is properly in position.

The window won't go down at all and I get a clicking when I press up on the switch inside or use the key so from what I've read, I've come to the conclusion the relay has gone but just wanted to check. It's been getting slower and slower to go up for a while.

The faults talked about the window up relay being the one that goes (got the pdf instructions from HERE, but I can't get the window down either. Tried squirting some WD40 in the runners inside the tail gate but that didn't help.

So is it a matter of getting a rear window control box now, how easy is it to solder a new relay on? My soldering skills aren't great but I know someone who's pretty handy so could go there for help, or perhaps just get a second hand control box, anyone know someone who got one?

Thanks in advance for any help, really need to get this sorted this weekend as the boot space is needed to load up for a party next weekend!

Cheers
    Dan

It's a doddle to fit. Buy 2 relays from Maplins and just replace the ones in your existing control box.

All the info you need is here
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cheers for that.

I got the relays from Maplins today and a mate soldered them on but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, the back window still won't go up or down.

There's still a clicking noise when you try to take it up. had a look at the wiring and this seems ok.

I'm guessing my only other option is to replace the motor, unless anyone can think of anything else to try?

Comment

Where is the clicking noise coming from?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Probably from the working relays

I'm intermittently in the same position. It's almost definitely the wiring between the tailgate and the relays. Mine does exactly the same as above, but if I wiggle the wires that exit the tailgate in the plastic wrap it works again..

Rob.

(am re-wiring in the next couple months before I go camping for 2 weeks)

Comment

Just spent the weekend repairing the window system on my 2nd Gen.
            After suspecting motor, relay etc I finally stripped out the rear window mechanism.
            Rebuilt the motor (which was FULL of rusty crud) spent ages degreasing the runner mechanism and big coggy things.
            Greased everything that moves (Twice).
            And lo and behold…
            Window goes up…
            Window goes down…

Sometimes it is better to look for the obvious first.
            Time is an illusion.
            Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

How do you get the bstard window motor out? I've got the tailgate open and the carpeted panel off, but it looks like the motor is screwed in from the back... I've taken out the 10mm bolts that hold the mechanism frame in place, but this still doesn't allow you to get the motor loose...

Comment

8mm ring spanner - ratchet one makes it easier.

Comment

Cheers, done it now.

Comment

Working...
                  X