Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecu re-mapping

Howdo all.
    For last 5 years I've had the pleasure of owning a 1994 Surf 2.4 SSRX-A ( the 'A' being red ). Never seen another one, but was told by Jap guy who sold it to me that it was top model with all the extras fitted at factory? Truck has never missed a beat, and has been off road plenty of times and generally used as it was intended- lugging tools, fishing tackle, dragging shipping containers and ripping fences out. etc. etc. She still scrubs up ok and flies through MOT's, but recently I've been toying with idea of swapping for a newer generation model, or possibly an estate car, ( mid life crisis) but would like to know if I can have the ECU re- mapped. I have read that due to the age (pre 96) that the software used in re- mapping, uses a different language, so can't be done. I would also like to run an induction kit too, my main aim is getting more economy and a few more torques. can anyone please offer any hints and advice on where to look/ who to speak to. I don't want to flog her as I would probably end up with a bag of crap. Better the devil you know! I would rather spend my cash on this truck than spend more on something I know nowt about!

Cheers
    Dollshead.

Nope. Not heard of anywhere or anyone that does remaps. There are little tweaks you can do to improve things, but you'll never end up with an economical speed demon, no matter what mods you do.

Comment

Mattf.
      I got a tech bod who does remapping as a sideline working on it as we speak. He has confirmed that the ecu cannot be remapped, but, he's looking at removing the chip and reprogramming it.This will be a trial and error scenario I would have thought and may take a few goes, but hopefully we will get it. I will be happy to get to the performance levels of the 3 litre motor. I will keep the forum posted on how we get on. My tech bod is called Blair Fotheringham, with a name like that he's got to be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Dollshead View Post
        My tech bod is called Blair Fotheringham, with a name like that he's got to be good!
        Well, he has to compensate for the name somehow. Let us know how you get on. What's he going to do, chip wise? Is he fitting a ZIF socket incase he needs multiple attempts at reprogramming?

Comment

MattF.
          Absolutely no idea whatsoever! That's why he is the tech bod and I use the name DOLLSHEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Dollshead View Post
            I will be happy to get to the performance levels of the 3 litre motor.
            Tell your techie guy to remove the code that will blow up the head and melt everything under the bonnet then.

Seriously though, you'll need to do some BIIIG mods to the cooling system if you want 3.0 power / torque from the 2.4 as it will come from more fuel, and more fuel means more heat into a cooling system that can barely cope with the 2.4.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
            X