Two batteries or one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two batteries or one ?

The two NS70L batteries in my 3000cc diesel Surf need replacing but identical replacement batteries are quite expensive. Can I replace them with two cheaper slightly smaller batteries (550 compared to the original 600 CCA batteries)? Alternatively I read (http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/batterymaintenance.htm) that you can use a a single 750CCA battery which would also be much cheaper than x 2 600CCA batteries. Can anyone advise me which is the best choice?

Welcome Mike!
    I think (normally incorrectly) that the original batteries are left and right handed to suit terminations in engine bay - and for that reason - original replacements are expensive.
    I replaced both of mine a few years ago with two 470 CCA from a motor spares shop (halfords - not in NZ??) they were cheaper than trying to find one big battery to supply the required output. The only problem was they are not left/right handed so had to re-route one set of connecting leads - but there's enough slack to cope. The batterries are smaller than originals and as such didn't fit the existing battery tray but have been secured in place with a thin piece of timber to take up the gap - sounds awful i know - but completely secure and safe - and no-body goes under my bonnet to see it!!
    These smaller capacity batteries have never let me down - cold mornings (-5'C) or interior light being left on over night etc.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

If you use a single battery, either remove or heavily insulate the remaining cable ends.

Comment

2 smaller ones should be fine and otherwise if u do use a single battery please take BUSHWHACKER's advise.....
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Dont insulate the cable ends. Just insulate the +ve cable and save on insulation tape as the 0v is connected to the bodywork anyway a foot away

Pedantic? Moi?

Actually, if anyone is really considering going to one very heavy duty battery (which is likely to be almost as expensive as the two smaller ones) then its probably better to completely remove the +ve cable to the other battery. Insulation tape can peel off, or wear through due to vibration, and the result of an unnoticed +ve to bodywork short would likely be a big fire.
          Last edited by Apache; 25 May 2009, 21:33.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

managed to get one for a 2004 shougun to fit offside,cheaper than replacement of original and its 720cca

Comment

Hi, mike

Wow another kiwi, sure is getting poular this site downunder!

Look around for a dealer who sells supercharge batterys in your town.Yellow pages is your best bet.
              Great batterys and a good price, i have had NS70X in my 2.8 for 3 winters and still cranking strong,only rated at 500ca to.
              Cost me $117 and fits perfect in the tray.
              My ute only takes 1 battery, but is worth getting 2 if you have too.
              2.8L Best toymotor engine ever!!

Comment

how much are you calling expensive?

£55 each from toyota was the cheapest around.

Comment

Working...
                X