Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

Hi, my speedo has stopped working.
    When it did it used to work for a mile or two, then stop.
    Any one know if it is mechanical, electrical or am I just imagining all this. ?

Thanks

Hi,

I know it's a different car but this happened on my 406 Estate, It turned out to be 36 quids worth of gearbox sensor.

I have feeling that I seen this before, Try doing a search on previous posts to see if anything turns up.

Mike B

Comment

Originally posted by richard lloyd

Thanks
      if your needle rests on a peg at 0mph its electronic, if there is no peg there its mechanical
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Try This, If the above post is relative.

Mike B

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ghlight=speedo

Comment

Thanks
          My speedo stops working every time I park Up

Sorry for the mirth. Good luck with fixing it.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

speedo

hi does the mileommeter still go round if it does it is the speedo head itself although due to being an import there may be a converter box on vehicle which changes kph to mph this may have gone down you can bypass this box which will then make it work in kilometers also if you check at rear instrument cluster the speedos on jap vehicles are usually marked up so you can check supply feeds at head there will be a ignition an earth and a speed pulse usually marked ign for ignition sp for speed pulse and e for earth hope this helps

Comment

Speedo

Originally posted by ingers
              hi does the mileommeter still go round if it does it is the speedo head itself although due to being an import there may be a converter box on vehicle which changes kph to mph this may have gone down you can bypass this box which will then make it work in kilometers also if you check at rear instrument cluster the speedos on jap vehicles are usually marked up so you can check supply feeds at head there will be a ignition an earth and a speed pulse usually marked ign for ignition sp for speed pulse and e for earth hope this helps
              Thanks,
              the mileometer is not working either.
              I just wonder if I should investigate at the dash or gearbox end of car?

Richard

Comment

Thanks,

Richard
                Sounds like it is the electronic type. I had to replace my speedo unit because of a busted wire in the speedo itself which was broken too short to solder.

However the Odometer and speedo are wired separately within the speedo but are fed from the same wiring plug. I suspect that the fault is due to corrosion on the plug as it mounts to the speedo circuit board. If you take the gauges cluster out - you need to remove the top part of the dash for this and the bottom part of the dash on the drivers side (all in all about 6 screws and a bolt). The gauges cluster itself once you have access is 4 screws - one on each corner. Once you remove the screws you can pull it forward (you will need to drop the tilt steering to it's lowest position for easy access) and you will see 4 wiring plugs. Remove them all and pull out the cluster, clean all the mating faces and spray some switch cleaner into the plugs - let them dry out afterwards.

Hopefully this will sort the problem. I think as these motors spend a fair amount of time sitting at the docks and sitting on a ship, the electrics tend to get a bit dirty. A lot of my switch lamps, the dome lights etc didn't work when I first got mine but a good clean got everything working again.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                  Sounds like it is the electronic type. I had to replace my speedo unit because of a busted wire in the speedo itself which was broken too short to solder.

However the Odometer and speedo are wired separately within the speedo but are fed from the same wiring plug. I suspect that the fault is due to corrosion on the plug as it mounts to the speedo circuit board. If you take the gauges cluster out - you need to remove the top part of the dash for this and the bottom part of the dash on the drivers side (all in all about 6 screws and a bolt). The gauges cluster itself once you have access is 4 screws - one on each corner. Once you remove the screws you can pull it forward (you will need to drop the tilt steering to it's lowest position for easy access) and you will see 4 wiring plugs. Remove them all and pull out the cluster, clean all the mating faces and spray some switch cleaner into the plugs - let them dry out afterwards.

Hopefully this will sort the problem. I think as these motors spend a fair amount of time sitting at the docks and sitting on a ship, the electrics tend to get a bit dirty. A lot of my switch lamps, the dome lights etc didn't work when I first got mine but a good clean got everything working again.

Cheers
                  Thanks for the quick reply, looks like I have a day with the instruments apart coming up.

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Thanks,

Richard
                    you can test it either end probably go for the gear box end first find the speed pulse generater on box not sure where it is on a surf i am a car sparky so i am trying to help you but in a generalised way hoping to get surf soon just interested ,try help you boys if i can anyway unplug speed pulse generater you will have an ignition an earth and a speed pulse if feeds are here then my next step would be to find speed pulse converter box or check it at head itself prob go for head again you should have ignition earth and pulse you cant test pulse but you can continuity test from box to head in case of brocken wire

Comment

Working...
                    X