Rear Window down OK up Not Ok.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window down OK up Not Ok.

Morning everyone. Im having trouble with my rear window activation. It goes down ok but will not return up on occasions. Ive read all the posts to do with this problem but cannot find info on how to access the key unit in the drop down boot lid. I assume because the unit works down ok and up after wiggling the key for 20 secs or mor it could be a loose connection. Can anyone out there please give me some info on the access of the key unit.

Best Regards

Andy.

The lock is easy to get to once you open up the tail gate. Lower it, pull off the carpeted board, take out the 5 screws holding on the metal panel and carefully remove the film underneath. Trick the catches to thinking they're closed by pushing a screwdriver into them, then extend the window (make sure it's supported or it could break). The lock is then visible and easy to get to.
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Hey adpsimpson, thanks for that my freind

Take care

Andy

Comment

In my case it was a broken wire between the tailgate and the main body.

Gordon
        2nd gen Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
          Morning everyone. Im having trouble with my rear window activation. It goes down ok but will not return up on occasions. Ive read all the posts to do with this problem but cannot find info on how to access the key unit in the drop down boot lid. I assume because the unit works down ok and up after wiggling the key for 20 secs or mor it could be a loose connection. Can anyone out there please give me some info on the access of the key unit.

Best Regards

Andy.
          Check out the posts at the foot of the page also ...

There's always a Payback .... It'll always take longer than five minutes !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks Gordon I will check that to. DW I thought I had read all the posts on this common problem but hell there is some info and a multitude of causes to consider...At the moment as I said the window goes down ok and up after wiggling the key for a time. I can hear the relay working when turning the key to the right (down) but not to the left going Up. I dont know wether this a a sign of a relay prob or it may just be a loose or corroded wire like Gordon suggests.

Thanks

Andy

Comment

99% of the time it's a broken wire!
              Done 3 broken ones on mine so far in 18 months!
              Alan
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                99% of the time it's a broken wire!
                Done 3 broken ones on mine so far in 18 months!
                Alan
                Would the same be true if it lowers fine, and still raises some times? Might be wrong here, but it sounds more like a dodgey switch.

Anyway, try dismantling it and having a look - it's only a 20 min job.
                Andy
                http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

The reason they are often intermittent faults is cos the cables break inside the sleeving, so,much of the time the two halves (of the copper core) touch!
                  Alan
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Could be the ball bearing in the back of the motor unit. If it has dropped out of place, the motor will push the gear away and out of mesh as it turns. Winding the window down pulls the gear back into mesh.

Can the motor be heared running?

Comment

Working...
                    X