KZN185 3rd gen starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 3rd gen starter

I know this has been covered many times but not sure if done for the 3rd gen KZN185 starter motor .
    I did the complete job including changing the contacts and plunger set up from Roughtrax in just about an hour .

Jack up and remove nsf wheel and tyre and support vehicle with axle stand .
    Disconnect negative battery terminals .

Remove the rear most inner wing closing plastic plate held on by 3 clips . This exposes a section between the inner wing and the chassis .

Via this section you can disconnect the 17mm headed nut which holds the main feed to starter .

Next disconnect the snap connector which is the smaller cable from the starter which I know is located different from the 2nd gen.

Then remove the 2 17mm headed nuts and 1 bolt (bolt is on bottom mounting , a stud is located in top mount and comes out with the starter) .
    Then feed the starter down through between gearbox and chassis to the ground .

Fit new contact and plunger as instructions in kit .
    Refit is opposite of removal .

Not to bad a job but I did not use the black insulators that came from Roughtrax as they did not seem as good as the Toyota originals which I re used as were in good condition .

Hope this helps 3rd gen owners .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

My 3.0L is having starter problemsand I just need to clarify exactly what needs to be done initially to get to it to remove the starter.
    Do you have to remove the whole front nearside wing on the vehicle and then another rear most inner wing closing plastic plate held on by 3 clips? This is the part I am not too clear on.

Comment

Working...
    X