Arial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arial

Hello. The arial on my surf has not worked since I got it about a month ago, after reading some posts from the forum, I decided to have a go and fix it.
    I took the dash out and pulled the radio out, all I see is a load of wires, some conected some not,
    As I dont have a clue about mechanics or electrics, I just started trying different wires in different conections, any way I got my cigarette lighter to work, also my left front speaker which were not working previously,
    Then my arial decided to go up for the first time, but would not go back down, I think I have found the right conections, but there is a fuse in one of them which blew, now when I turn my ignition off when parking up the arial moter runs for about 20 to 30 seconds but it still does not go down.
    How do I get under the wing to get at the moter??

Cheers Kevin.
    95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

If you can hear the motor running after you switch off then the inner toothed part of the aerial has come adrift from the motor. Get someone to switch off the ignition then try and push down on the aerial to see if it will re-engage, took a couple of attempts but it worked on mine, Just use the minimum of pressure to push the aerial down.
    You can get to the aerial under the wheel arch, removing the inner part of the arch.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

[QUOTE=Koi]If you can hear the motor running after you switch off then the inner toothed part of the aerial has come adrift from the motor. Get someone to switch off the ignition then try and push down on the aerial to see if it will re-engage, took a couple of attempts but it worked on mine, Just use the minimum of pressure to push the aerial down.
      You can get to the aerial under the wheel arch, removing the inner part of the arch.[/QUOT
      Cheers, Tried that and it works, but now when it has fully wound down, and up, the moter still runs loudly for 30 seconds or so.
      Cheers Kevin
      95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

[QUOTE=bear]
        Originally posted by Koi
        If you can hear the motor running after you switch off then the inner toothed part of the aerial has come adrift from the motor. Get someone to switch off the ignition then try and push down on the aerial to see if it will re-engage, took a couple of attempts but it worked on mine, Just use the minimum of pressure to push the aerial down.
        You can get to the aerial under the wheel arch, removing the inner part of the arch.[/QUOT
        Cheers, Tried that and it works, but now when it has fully wound down, and up, the moter still runs loudly for 30 seconds or so.
        Cheers Kevin
        Sounds like you need the new mast and toothed drive section . Most electric aeriels have a slotted 'cap' around the top where it exits the wing . Undo this and turn the radio/ignition on so the aeriel goes up then as the aeriel goes to the top the mast should come right out with the toothed drive aswell .
        You should see the worn drive .
        Reversel is a reverse of removal but be careful on refitting the toothed mast as it grabs as it draws the mast in .
        Hope this is helpful . I have done mainly Vauxhall aeriels but I am sure Surfs are similar .

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          Sounds like you need the new mast and toothed drive section . Most electric aeriels have a slotted 'cap' around the top where it exits the wing . Undo this and turn the radio/ignition on so the aeriel goes up then as the aeriel goes to the top the mast should come right out with the toothed drive aswell .
          You should see the worn drive .
          Reversel is a reverse of removal but be careful on refitting the toothed mast as it grabs as it draws the mast in .
          Hope this is helpful . I have done mainly Vauxhall aeriels but I am sure Surfs are similar .

Rick

I need one of them as my ariel fell out the other day
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

bent

You may find your arial is just bent slightly? I drove along the M4 a few months ago in high head winds, mine will no longer go down without my help anymore!!
            but my motor just runs on for a bit and stops. It goes up fine, well almost to the top anyway, but will not come down on it's own.
            Best thing to do is leave it up or if you want it down, just never listen to the radio!!

G
            Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
              You may find your arial is just bent slightly? I drove along the M4 a few months ago in high head winds, mine will no longer go down without my help anymore!!
              but my motor just runs on for a bit and stops. It goes up fine, well almost to the top anyway, but will not come down on it's own.
              Best thing to do is leave it up or if you want it down, just never listen to the radio!!

Had another fiddle around. now it goes up first time every time, and then the moter runs on for a bit then stops, when I turn off the engine the moter starts but it will not go down untill I slightley touch the bottom, then it goes down perfect, and moter stops straight away.
              People must think I mad every time I park the car I jump out and run around to touch the arial. Think I will just leave it up for now.
              Cheers Kevin.

G
              95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Originally posted by bear
                Had another fiddle around. now it goes up first time every time, and then the moter runs on for a bit then stops, when I turn off the engine the moter starts but it will not go down untill I slightley touch the bottom, then it goes down perfect, and moter stops straight away.
                People must think I mad every time I park the car I jump out and run around to touch the arial. Think I will just leave it up for now.
                Cheers Kevin.
                Sure sign some teeth are sheared off the mast drive. Only about £8.00 for a new one (says big spender - mine hasn't gone all the way down for about eight months. That'll teach me to listen to the cricket while offroading at Devils Pit)
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

£8 FOR A NEW ELECTRIC ARIEL ?IF SO WHERE IF NOT WHICH PART AND WHERE AS I HAVE SAME PROBLEM,SORRY FOR BEING SO THICK BUT IM FROM BARCELONA!! YOU KNOW.
                  ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by The Duke
                    £8 FOR A NEW ELECTRIC ARIEL ?IF SO WHERE IF NOT WHICH PART AND WHERE AS I HAVE SAME PROBLEM,SORRY FOR BEING SO THICK BUT IM FROM BARCELONA!! YOU KNOW.
                    It's not the whole aerial - just the replacement for the broken bit i.e. the telescopic section with the toothed strip.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

cheers and where do i get it from?
                      ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by The Duke
                        cheers and where do i get it from?
                        Sorry Duke...........Toyota - I find that they are very good for Toyota parts

Might be heading down to gods country in August so you can slap me for my sarcasm then!!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers bud

think markys down in august well have a few beers let us know where
                          ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

There seems to be a few of us invading this area in august. im also meeting DENRE don who lives near HAYLE . we can all meet up at FLAMBARDS & race some go carts LOL. theres also a go-kart place just outside HAYLE
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Mark its at Chenhalls rd St Erth tr27 6hj if you want to see how far it is from towans
                              ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Working...
                              X