Removing motor (rear glass)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing motor (rear glass)

Now worst of weather looks behind us, I'd like to inspect the motor and see if supersurf can sell me some bits to improve it.

So how best to remove it, and can car be secured with it out at all please.

The motor's easy to remove - see http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/articles.php?rid=0

Carpeted section just pulls off (there's about 10 snap-on fixings), the metal panel underneath it is held on by 5 screws.

Don't bother with the alen key and socket, just use a small 8mm ring spanner. There's 3 bolts hold it in from underneath, a small mirror will show them up.

Once the motor's out, the window can be pulled up and down by hand. It should be easy enough to jam the winding mechanism to stop it moving (wrap a rag round the gears or similar).
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

So before I start,

Can this be done with window glass retracted fully into tailgate or do I need to trick the glass partially up at all

Thanks

Comment

Glass needs to be nearly fully up. Lower the tailgate, press a scredriver into the catches on both sides to close them and then raise the glass while fully supporting it. Get a table/workbench with a cushion on top at just the right height.

Once the motor's out, you can push the glass back in, open the catches again, close the tailgate and then if you like raise the glass by hand and jam the winding mechanism from inside the boot.
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

ive got mine to do,but my window is stuck shut,oh its going to be sooooo much fun

Comment

Don't envy you on that job,
            In some ways I suppose the fact the glass I'd already out the way,
            Getting in the back and that amount of contortion alone would make me sell 'as is' and just buy a working one.
            I'm seriously looking for a crewcab anway at the moment.
            But this surf, though dented has been really reliable and has 12 months on it now

So I shall mend this window

Best of luck on yours BTW

Comment

Originally posted by henry F View Post
              Don't envy you on that job,
              In some ways I suppose the fact the glass I'd already out the way,
              Getting in the back and that amount of contortion alone would make me sell 'as is' and just buy a working one.
              I'm seriously looking for a crewcab anway at the moment.
              But this surf, though dented has been really reliable and has 12 months on it now

So I shall mend this window

Best of luck on yours BTW
              ty mine just got its 13 month ticket,so i treated her to 12 months tax,so she then rewarded me by letting me get right up in her boot

Comment

My goodness, that's a healthy relationship you have there.

Anyway, what's failed so badly the window won't budge

Comment

Your rear door is shut. Climb into the back of the Surf, take the panels off and remove the motor. That's it. Wedge a piece of wood in there to keep the mech in place. Your rear seats can be pulled forward, and sitting cross legged in the back is hardly contortion either.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Your rear door is shut. Climb into the back of the Surf, take the panels off and remove the motor. That's it. Wedge a piece of wood in there to keep the mech in place. Your rear seats can be pulled forward, and sitting cross legged in the back is hardly contortion either.
                    matt im 6ft 3,i have 2 boxed subs behind the seat(hard wired in) and im freddy fat fingers

Comment

Cross-legged would NOT work for me either,

however back on subject..
                      How long would it take me to to do all this

being well

Comment

Cross-legged would NOT work for me either,

however back on subject..
                        How long would it take me to to do all this

being well
                        seriously dont panic mate,with the boot open give yrself half hour,i have 2 tips,if u can get one,use a ratchet spanner,it makes life much easier/quicker,and if yr windows tinted lay an old tea towel on the window(stops u scratching it)

Comment

No & no actually as a matter of fact, but small socket set do?

Its just this evening begun to SNOW again

Comment

No & no actually as a matter of fact, but small socket set do?

Its just this evening begun to SNOW again
                            u wont get a socket and ratchet in there mate,just use good old fashioned spanner

Comment

I'm asking this as I was wondering whether to attempt this job in a generous lunch hour in the comfort of a nice warm clean warehouse
                              as opposed to a cramped garage (mine)

is their likey to be anything shredded (as in the link on page one)
                              or did you find they are pretty much straightforward

thanks for your advice BTW appreciated

sorry to be a pain

Comment

Working...
                              X