Battery Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Questions

Ok i bought myself a nice 3.0TD SSR-X last november and she has been one fine lady and never missed a beat until now.

On Monday i went to start her up to get to work and the batteries were dead flat, i had noticed she was sounding alittle sluggish in the mornings beforehand so obviously the weekend provided enough time for the batteries to die right off rather than the normal 10 hours between getting home and going to work.

I've been to a garage and a local factors to get quotes for new batteries but am having lots of trouble finding the right ones! Mine has the Winter Pack so i got the twin battery setup. The dealer i bought it from replaced one of the batteries when i bought it from him and it seems he's fitted a smaller/cheaper type on the passenger side than what is on the drivers side.

The garage and the factors didnt have batteries listed for the Surf so i looked under 4runner (as its the GB version) but the battery listed for that 3.0 TD is the size of a lorry battery and wont fit.

My questions are:

What are a good brand of battery to go for? I'd like to avoid cheap budget batteries but dont want to be shelling out £100+ like i have been quoted!

Do both batteries need to be the same?

Cheers for any help, its much appreciated

never had to replace mine, but i do know this:

all 2nd gens for sure and not sure about other gens have the dual battery. Its not a winter pack option.

Toyotas reasoning behind the setup was to make it more economical as it uses two batterys wired in series instead of one expeensive one to do the same job. so by that account, they shouldnt be too dear.
    if you check back on the forum in a bit, im sure someone with some tech know how will be along and answer yur questions.
    Last edited by blackpoolsparks; 22 January 2009, 23:12.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

This may help mate.
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=battery+cca
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I have had a look thru the other threads on bateries but havnt been able to find much in the way of brand/model info

The link on that thread to the specific battery has expired

Comment

Originally posted by Hellhound View Post
          I have had a look thru the other threads on bateries but havnt been able to find much in the way of brand/model info

The link on that thread to the specific battery has expired
          Sorry it did'nt help you mate.
          I think yours are 550cca which is plenty for a twin battery set up, i m sure someone will be along soon from your neck of the woods,to guide you to the nearest & best place to get them.

Good luck.

Comment

unfortunetly, like me, theres not many forum members from where u live. any local motor factor should be able to give u a range of batteries. let your fingers do the walking and use the yellow pages.
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Well like i said, so far the garage and factors places i have visited have got me prices based on physical dimensions of the original battery i have on the drivers side. The prices i've had so far are £105inc vat +fitted from the garage and £90 from the factors place.

I've seen people on here getting batteries for £50 but have no idea what to buy lol.

Yeah i dont think many people who come from somewhere that is totally devoid of hills would see the attraction of buying a 4x4, well apart from the chelsea tractor mob who crowd the local schools at 8:30am and 4pm !!!

Comment

Ye i paid £55 for mine & thats a 650cca.
                The brand i got platinum,energy type.
                http://www.ukbatteries.co.uk/products.asp

Comment

What are a good brand of battery to go for? I'd like to avoid cheap budget batteries but dont want to be shelling out £100+ like i have been quoted!
                  Buy from Toyota, they're not that expensive.

Ideally, yes.

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post

all 2nd gens for sure and not sure about other gens have the dual battery. Its not a winter pack option.
                  You sure?
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post

I think you will find your wrong with this statement.
                    Mick
                    Trust your Hound.

Comment

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/buy...s/prod_53.html

Ok i bought myself a nice 3.0TD SSR-X last november and she has been one fine lady and never missed a beat until now.

On Monday i went to start her up to get to work and the batteries were dead flat, i had noticed she was sounding alittle sluggish in the mornings beforehand so obviously the weekend provided enough time for the batteries to die right off rather than the normal 10 hours between getting home and going to work.

I've been to a garage and a local factors to get quotes for new batteries but am having lots of trouble finding the right ones! Mine has the Winter Pack so i got the twin battery setup. The dealer i bought it from replaced one of the batteries when i bought it from him and it seems he's fitted a smaller/cheaper type on the passenger side than what is on the drivers side.

The garage and the factors didnt have batteries listed for the Surf so i looked under 4runner (as its the GB version) but the battery listed for that 3.0 TD is the size of a lorry battery and wont fit.

My questions are:

Cheers for any help, its much appreciated
                      Trust your Hound.

Comment

This may help http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ment+Batteries

Check post 26
                        Good Luck....

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                          This may help http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ment+Batteries

Check post 26
                          Good Luck....

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                          The ones in that link in post 26 are only 460 CCA, i know for a fact that i need more than that due to my truck being a 3.0TD (seen people reccomend over 650). I'll just have to go and see if they can get a battery based on size and CCA.

Comment

The ones in that link in post 26 are only 460 CCA, i know for a fact that i need more than that due to my truck being a 3.0TD (seen people reccomend over 650). I'll just have to go and see if they can get a battery based on size and CCA.
                            Are the ones Toyota sell are no good?

Where did you see folk recommending 2 x <650 CCA batteries just because you have a 3.0L? That's a hell of a lot of cranking power. 2 460s should be more than enough.
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The batteries are the same size, but the terminals on each one are mirrored.

I'm pretty sure the correct types are 069 and 068.

When I replaced my batteries my local main dealer was cheaper than my local motor factor.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X