Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric aerial replacement

Hi Guys

Can anyone assist with some guidance on replacing my seized electric aerial?
    It's been stuck in the 'up' position for some time and has now bent and requires replacement.
    I can hear the motor is still working everytime I turn the ignition but not sure if I can replace the aerial without the motor?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by paddyoc83 View Post
    Hi Guys

Can anyone assist with some guidance on replacing my seized electric aerial?
    It's been stuck in the 'up' position for some time and has now bent and requires replacement.
    I can hear the motor is still working everytime I turn the ignition but not sure if I can replace the aerial without the motor?

Any help greatly appreciated!
    you can get a replacement mast from roughtrax really easy to change takes about 5 mins, you have to undo the top nut on the arial where it secures to th wing, then with the radio on pull the old mast out you should get all the nylon teeth section with in. Then you feed the new bit in as far as you can, get somone to turn the radio off and the motor will do the rest, refit the top nut job done. Oh and welcome its a good idea to let us know what truck you have inc the year.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

done the ariel mast BUT

hi all, changed the mast, but theres a lengh of snapped plastic worm left in the motor, so every time it goes up theres a horible grinding noise. Anybody got diagrams of the motor and inards so i can strip it down and remove the offending plastic.
      thanks
      nigel
      Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

dont have a diagram but it is very easy to do just remove the inner wheel skin (few bolts) and remove and open up the motor 15 min job! it comes out as 1 whole unit.

Comment

the remainder of the plastic should push out before you fit the new mast normally.Take the mast out and switch the stereo on and off a few times to see if the plastic part comes out.
          Sorry got no diagrams of the insides but once the ariel is off the truck you should be able to see what needs taking off to get to the insides
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            the remainder of the plastic should push out before you fit the new mast normally.Take the mast out and switch the stereo on and off a few times to see if the plastic part comes out.
            Sorry got no diagrams of the insides but once the ariel is off the truck you should be able to see what needs taking off to get to the insides
            i thought if i swithched the radio on and off without the new thread, the motor woulnt know where to start and finish and cause a hell off a job to replace the new,(out of sync so to speak)

Comment

I'm hoping to replace my knackered aerial with a stumpy one from Roughtrax. I had a quick play this evening but no joy? Moved the wheel arch lining enough to look at the motor but couldn't budge the bolt that holds it to the body. Basically am I going to have remove the whole wing to get clear access to it? Once that's sorted do I need to remove the dash to get the wire along and into the radio?
              Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by TASR12 View Post
                I'm hoping to replace my knackered aerial with a stumpy one from Roughtrax. I had a quick play this evening but no joy? Moved the wheel arch lining enough to look at the motor but couldn't budge the bolt that holds it to the body. Basically am I going to have remove the whole wing to get clear access to it? Once that's sorted do I need to remove the dash to get the wire along and into the radio?
                Any advice or info would be much appreciated.
                If its that much work, why not stay with the retractable, had mine from here
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HI-LUX-...item2ea49d19e9

nigel

Comment

The motor is knackered so that would have to be changed as well. Though the simplest solution would be to go for a stumpy one.

Comment

i bought a a stumpy rubber one from halfrauds for about £10, took out old motor, but kept the top bit of the aerial with bolt to give a mount for aerila and bolted it all together, now when i cruise down the motor way i get my aerial flopping in the wind

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                      i bought a a stumpy rubber one from halfrauds for about £10, took out old motor, but kept the top bit of the aerial with bolt to give a mount for aerila and bolted it all together, now when i cruise down the motor way i get my aerial flopping in the wind
                      you can get a wee blue pill for that
                      S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Radio mast

Thanks for all your help guys I am no mechanic and it only took me half an hour , wheel off under wing protection undone enough to get my hand in ,undo bolt disassemble motor casing ,remove old arial plastic , put it all back together, switch radio on ,insert new plastic ,switch radio off and watch it all retract perfectly, well done guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X