Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light n window prob

Hi all

got in the car today to find it wouldn't start after sitting for about a week, turning the key seemed like a power drain, so looked further

left hand side rear light/brakelight not working, also left front electric window, but rear works, front lights normal but dim.

Got a mate to try jump start but no go, power draining somewhere, checked all fuses OK, replaced bulb in rear light still no go, any ideas anyone.

Windows etc all working last time out, 1 week back. Hazzo

u have a flat battery,charge it,jump start may work but leave the leads on with the other car running for atleast 10 mins,pref a big diesel

Comment

Cant agree on just that, guage indicates just under 12v on its own, attached to the other motor its as if running, then turning the key while jump leaded to the other running car there's a drain on power and the engine wont turn over, this is why I'm convinced its shorting out somewhere especially as all other windows n lecky's work apart from front pass side window and rear pass light/brakelight/fog.

I've also jump started from this car before with no problems when the batteries failed last year, they have since been replaced. H

Comment

I would do as BDT says mate, these trucks need about 750+ cold cranking amps to start them, I cant see that the batts are being pulled down that much during a jump start, make sure that everything you can is off then do the jump.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
          Cant agree on just that, guage indicates just under 12v on its own, attached to the other motor its as if running, then turning the key while jump leaded to the other running car there's a drain on power and the engine wont turn over, this is why I'm convinced its shorting out somewhere especially as all other windows n lecky's work apart from front pass side window and rear pass light/brakelight/fog.

I've also jump started from this car before with no problems when the batteries failed last year, they have since been replaced. H
          u have answered yr own question mate,just under 12v,u need much more than tat and its about the cranking amps

Comment

"I would do as BDT says mate, these trucks need about 750+ cold cranking amps to start them, I cant see that the batts are being pulled down that much during a jump start, make sure that everything you can is off then do the jump." (charvell)

I know the battery has drained otherwise I wouldn't have a mate with his car running try to jump start this one, I've also been fixing my own cars for thirty years and this is the first time when trying to jump start a car, not bump start, jump start, with booster cables that I've not had my vehicle turn over as it should.

I admit I'm no auto electrician but when two cars are attached in tandem then a low battery on the disabled car should pose no problem otherwise why bother trying to jump it.

Like I said its jump started before in similar conditions last winter, but this time even in tandem with the other car revved n running its not turning this one over enough to fire, so I reckon its shorting somewhere and was looking for some hints to the location, where to look first, I've checked all fuses, none blown, have replaced the blown bulb but dont know where to look as far as lecky windows goes, the electric aerial isn't moving either and as stated in the earlier post all were fine before.

I wouldn't even be asking but the links to the diagrams (electric) are missing, so really I'm posting in the hope someone has had similar problems and can help out rather than tell me the ####in battery is flat, a fact I already am well and truly aware of. H

Comment

mate I just picked my surf back up again today and the battery was totally drained trying to jump it wud not work same as yours
              The car nearly stalled it drained that much power...

so I left the leads attached and the other car running for 40 minutes to give the surf battery some charge and then she started first kick.... (with the leads still attached that is)

Like the others said mate it takes a little amperage to get the surf started...
              The glow plugs use a fair bit and then there needs to be enough left for your starter...

So like I said I got here going just let her charge a while.....
              One day at the time I guess..

Comment

OK cheers, looks like I'm hauling the batteries out in the morning then, two friggin days wasted charging these #######s then, thanks for the help.

I'm still not convinced this car cant stand a week without the need for a recharge, whats the point of having the ###### "winter pack" its a joke! H.

Comment

OK cheers, looks like I'm hauling the batteries out in the morning then, two friggin days wasted charging these #######s then, thanks for the help.

I'm still not convinced this car cant stand a week without the need for a recharge, whats the point of having the ###### "winter pack" its a joke! H.
                  If the batteries are old batteries then its a matter of time before they go completely.The batteries on my truck are the Jap ones so i am waiting for the time to come to change them.Lucky enough i have spare batteries from the breakers so i don't need to buy more.
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I didn't do it with the surf, but first thing I normally do when I buy a 2nd hand car is to buy a new battery from Quick Sh1t or Halfrauds. A lifetime guarantee is a marvelous thing...
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

"I would do as BDT says mate, these trucks need about 750+ cold cranking amps to start them, I cant see that the batts are being pulled down that much during a jump start, make sure that everything you can is off then do the jump." (charvell)

I know the battery has drained otherwise I wouldn't have a mate with his car running try to jump start this one, I've also been fixing my own cars for thirty years and this is the first time when trying to jump start a car, not bump start, jump start, with booster cables that I've not had my vehicle turn over as it should.

I admit I'm no auto electrician but when two cars are attached in tandem then a low battery on the disabled car should pose no problem otherwise why bother trying to jump it.

Like I said its jump started before in similar conditions last winter, but this time even in tandem with the other car revved n running its not turning this one over enough to fire, so I reckon its shorting somewhere and was looking for some hints to the location, where to look first, I've checked all fuses, none blown, have replaced the blown bulb but dont know where to look as far as lecky windows goes, the electric aerial isn't moving either and as stated in the earlier post all were fine before.

I wouldn't even be asking but the links to the diagrams (electric) are missing, so really I'm posting in the hope someone has had similar problems and can help out rather than tell me the ####in battery is flat, a fact I already am well and truly aware of. H
                      cool mental note made,i wont offer again

Comment

ps the "winter pack" is very good when both batteries are good,but only as good as the batteries themselves

Comment

hahaha
                          I was thinking ur thoughts before but did not want to be rude haha

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            cool mental note made,i wont offer again
                            Welcome to my world...
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Welcome to my world...
                              hehe at least u tell people how it is...
                              if they don't like it...

well............. to bad me thinks......................

Comment

Working...
                              X