Any ideas? its doin my head in now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas? its doin my head in now

I`ve fitted another alternator to my surf cos the ignition light wud not light up and was not charging, assumed it wud be the alternator but i`ve got the exact same prob after fittin another one. I`ve checked all fuses i can find and all are ok. When i put it back together the 1st time i had all my dash lights workin but as soon as i started it up the alt was not chargin and now i have now igniton light again. Any clues any1 pls thanks Don..

I would get the batteries checked out as that may well be the problem if the alternator was changed
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi mate its the alternator i had from u today lol. Batteries have enuf in them t start it tho. Also now its decided to light up all the dash lights all the time now no dif if its runnin or not. Do u reckon the batteries cud do that? Ive checked all earths etc and all seem ok.

Comment

Dis-connect the batteries for 15 mins then try again and see if that makes a difference as it will reset the ecu.
        Get the batteries checked aswell tho

Comment

Ok will try that, silly question i kno but was the alternator def workin as in on a runnin truck? just wonderin if i have got another knackered one Don..

Comment

Do you have a voltmeter or multi meter, if so put it across a battery and measure voltage, then rev the engine the voltage should creep up, if so the alternator is working...
            e.g at idle 11.9 volts..rev engine 12.5 to 13 volts....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Yup done that had just under 12 at idle then crept up tp 13.6 ish with revs but that was when i had no ignitin lights, now i have ignition lights all the time even with the engine running i have no charge from alt. eg volt meter readin 11.98 when running. Ther must be a fault somewhere as i think having 2 dodgy alts is a bit slim

Comment

I agree....sounds like a bad connection somewhere.... get someone to watch dash lights as you carefully waggle cables whilst engine running....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

yeah worth a go i guess. Tried an extra earth to alt but still the same. Some1 said about fuseable links on the drivers side batt positive lead, i`ve looked but cant see what ther are on about.

Comment

Don if it comes to it i'll try the alternator on my truck and if there is anything wrong with it i'll refund your money for you if thats ok.

Comment

With engine off... but pull lead from alternator, one or more of the pins in this plug should have a voltagewith the ignition ON ...alternators need a voltage supplied to work..if no voltage present on any pin then it might be a fuse....

ALSO...I am not an expert on the Surf fuse layout..but in the drivers footwell right hand side of pedals there is a fuse box, pull off the plastic cover and check all the fuses, its arkward to get the fuses out..long nose pliars help
                      Last edited by Vultch; 31 December 2008, 18:25.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Rich wud be good to try it to see if thats my prob, thanks for that. Vul checked all the fuses and all look good. Just wonderin if there is an alt relay or somthin somewhere.

Comment

I'm busy tomorrow but i will be about friday and over the weekend if that helps

Comment

I`m busy tomoz and workin friday but will be about on sat, want me to come to you ?

Comment

Charge warning light works on potential difference to make the bulb go out . IE with ignition on and engine not running you will have positive 12v running through the dash light then through the alternator making an earth which illuminates the bulb . With the engine running 12v positive back up from the alternator to the dash bulb puts the bulb out . Then with ignition off the 12v positive supply is cut from the system and the bulb is out . 1st rule of testing alternator is to check that the bulb is illuminated when ignition is on . If that is OK then the fault lies within the alternator (in most cases) or regulator if an external one fitted. If you have no bulb illuminated with ignition on then there is a break in the circuit somewhere . Could be the feed to the bulb , the bulb it self , or the wiring to the alternator .
                              Even with the circuit for warning light not working you can get some charge from the alternator ( not often and not much ).
                              Hope that helps .
                              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                              X