Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with my new motor

Hi

i just bought a 1993 3.0lt SSR-X Surf last saturday, It goes great but a small problem which looking through previous posts has not answered for me.

This surf has the auto box, and for some reason it will not go from 3rd to 4th.
    It has a full service history detailing fluid changes, belts, bushes, idlers etc

So Im ruling the atf fluid out at the moment.

From what I can gather it could be a solenoid or a sensor, problem is I dont know my way round this 4x4 so can someoene please tell me which sensors to check and their locations please?

I dont know if its related but the surf was imported to the uk in 2005 and has had one owner here before me. used on short 40 mile trips daily.

Im assuming o/d wasnt needed much here in town.

also might be worth noting that the ECD switch has no effect whatsoever and kickdown from 3rd to 2nd when overtaking does not work.

help??

thanks in advance

Steve

The button on the side of the gear selector is an on/off selector for the overdrive. When its off, it will display it on the dash under your speedo. Try and see if this works first.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

It lights up on the dash when the button is out, and the light goes out when the button is in (overdrive active)

cheers

Comment

Is the truck up to temperature ?

If the temp is not up then top gear is blocked.

ECD will allow the engine to rev higher before changing.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Hi yes, its at normal running temp. exactly half way on the rather "out of the ark" guage lol

Comment

yea but, no but, yea but

Collant temparature is not the same as ATF temperature.
            Take it out for a wee cruise and then see....
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I hate to say it, but I reckon your ECU is fried. You will find it in the passenger footwell, behind the panel that the flare clips on to. A replacement ECU should cost you a bit over a 100 quid from a breaker, or millions probably for a brand new one.. They can be repaired, but that will cost about the same as one out of a breaker. Good luck!
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I think 20 mins of screaming along at 60mph 3k revs should have heated it up lol

im getting overtaken by every boyracer going cos I cant afford to waste all my fuel running at such high revs on the national speed limit areas.

Comment

From what you've described in the prior posts you need to change your ECU as chillit said.
                  I had the same problem 2 years ago and ended spending over £2000 having the gearbox completely overhauled and the hire cars as well, As soon as i put another ECU into it it worked and has been ever since
                  Cheers
                  Paul

Comment

Got a newer ecu from a 95 surf from ebay. plugged it in and hey presto its a whole new truck. all gears work smooth with no laziness and overdrive works aswell,

thanks v much guys

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X