No announcement yet.

Irratic flashing "door open" light ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irratic flashing "door open" light ....

Hi Boys,

Can anyone help??

I have a '96 3.0 SSRG and recently have been having some electrical problems. The Door open light keeps flashing on the dashboard accompanied by noises from around the steering column that sound like an electrical clicking noise. Also the lights on the automatic box go out completely when this is playing up. It doesn't happen all the time, but is getting more frequent, lately. Other than that there are no other problems.

I don't want to get ripped off taking it in, so thought I would get some advice on here first, if poss.

Thanks to anyone who might have any idea what the problem is.

Cara-croft
    You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Make sure the spare wheel carrier has latched properly. Give it a slam.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Make sure the spare wheel carrier has latched properly. Give it a slam.
      + the rear door
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Thanks boys,

I will check it in the morning, must admit have had a rattle at the back, but got used to it and have ignored it.

But, having said that, I am in and out of the back all the time and do make sure its shut?!?

I'll give it a slam and see!!!

Caracroft

Comment

Hi

It was playing up again today, so I pulled over, left the back window down so that I could see the dash and "voila"!! when I played around with the spare wheel carrier catch , the problems stopped!!!! I would never have thought it could be that simple!! Thanks to you both for your help.

Caracroft

Comment

Originally posted by cara-croft View Post
            Hi

It was playing up again today, so I pulled over, left the back window down so that I could see the dash and "voila"!! when I played around with the spare wheel carrier catch , the problems stopped!!!! I would never have thought it could be that simple!! Thanks to you both for your help.

Caracroft

Excellent!
            As we have saved you a wad of cash by not taking it to a garage/dealer, how about contributing to the forum? for 15 quid you'll save hundreds over the years or how ever you own your truck.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              over the years or how ever you own your truck.
              How should she own it then?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                How should she own it then?

long. It must have fell off in cyberspace somewhere.

Comment

Cyperspace is a terrible thing isn't it!!! I often get lost in it!!

I really do appreciate the help so will read up about signing up for your membership However I own my surf!!!

By the way would you have any idea why the lights on the auto box are still not working?? Could it be just a bulb gone and pure coincidence it happened at the same time as the other problem??!

Thanks again

Comment

Cyperspace is a terrible thing isn't it!!! I often get lost in it!!

I really do appreciate the help so will read up about signing up for your membership However I own my surf!!!

By the way would you have any idea why the lights on the auto box are still not working?? Could it be just a bulb gone and pure coincidence it happened at the same time as the other problem??!

Thanks again

Yeah, it'll be the bulb or the wiring plug.
                    You'll have to remove the centre console and gearstick surround to get at it.

Comment

Thanks Bushwhacker,

Its not the bulb as tonight it was working!?! So I will have to check out the wiring when I get the chance to see if there is something working loose. The other problem hasn't come back though so I'm really pleased about that and must remember to make sure that back wheel is shut properly!!

Cara

Comment

Its not the bulb as tonight it was working!?!
                        If Vince suggests that something is faulty, (overlooking his occasional rad cap obsession), you will most likely find that it is the cause of your problem.

Bulbs can go intermittent, especially where vibration is concerned. Check the bulb, holder and connectors, and one of those will be the cause of your problem, most likely.

Comment

Ooooh sorry, Matt and Vince!! I have been a naughty girl.

The lights are out again tonight so will check the bulb, connections and holder.

Many thanks

Comment

Ooooh sorry, Matt and Vince!! I have been a naughty girl.
                            Not at all. Vince rarely tends to be incorrect though.

Have you managed to have a further look at it yet?

Comment

Thanks Matt for trying to make me feel better :

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet as ...... wait for it..... I've been packing to take the caravan away this Friday!!! Yes I know, don't say it I'm totally mad!!! I'm off to "sunny" (hopefully) Somerset for 10 days.

Now I can be more sure that there isn't a serious problem with the Surf I'm happy to tow the 'van on our little getaway!!

The bulb problem will have to take a back seat until we get back!! If we get back!!!! Well we have got the RAC to back us up!?! The Surf hasn't let us down yet, but am I pushing it????!! Lol!!

Caracroft

Comment

Working...
                              X