fitting lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitting lights

ok electrical i know sod all about so could someone run me through in laymans terms how do i fit my new spots to my 3rd gen pleaseeeee
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

drill a hole thread the bolt bit through attach nut tighten up. fit the batteries & press the switch to on LOL
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
      ok electrical i know sod all about so could someone run me through in laymans terms how do i fit my new spots to my 3rd gen pleaseeeee
      are we talking about those nice new blue one ya got from that bloke at powerful-uk....???

now i'm no auto-leccy but,
      if your gonna leave 'em as 55watts you can do as follows....... just like wot i did....
      use one of those little scotch lock thingies to clip one of the wires to the full beam live wire (found at the back of the headlight........ sorry i can't remember wot colour it was, someone on here will soon let ya know...). the other you need to earth, i used the screw that holds the screen wash / overflow bottles. i then covered the whole thing in heatshrink (which'll do 'till i find something better.......)

if you're gonna upgrade the bulbs, you'll need to put an in-line fuse and relay switch along the 'live' wire.

hope all that makes sense.........
      have fun.

Planty

Comment

Watch it as ive been told it will fail the MOT unless they are on a seperate switch
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

the wiring isn't really man enough to run without a relay...

go from the headlamp to a switch
          from switch to relay
          from relay to GND to complete switch circuit

then +ve from battery to fuse
          from fuse to relay
          relay to lamp
          lamp to GND (should earth through connection to car so the mounting point is a good place to GND)(unless the bumper is on rubber mounts!!)

go in motor factors and get yourself a "RING" easy wire kit.... they've got everything you need and full instructions (about a tenner.)
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Watch it as ive been told it will fail the MOT unless they are on a seperate switch

Not spots, fog lights yes (illuminated switch) have had a couple of cars with spots as standard and they all on the high beam switch.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Spots dont have to be on a seperate switch

You use the feed to the headlamp highbeam to operate the relay and a new permanant feed via a inline fuse to run the lamps as follows

Scotchblock a wire from highbeam wire at headlamp and connect to terminal number 85 on relay

Connect terminal 86 to ground ( you can use the mounting screw for your relay )

Connect a 16 amp rated cable with an inline fuse ( 16amp ) from the battery to terminal 30 on relay ( if you use 16amp cable you can uprate lamps to 100w each )

Connect terminal 87 to your spotlights feed

Connect spot light ground to a good clean earth.

This way you dont overload the highbeam circuit on the truck

This also applies to any high load circuit you may wish to install

Dan
              I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

cheers

cheers lads im off to do it now and yea its them lovly blueeeeee ones planty markey u are sooooo funny hehehehe
                black n tan
                black n tan
                yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

You'll be installing the BLUE LOO toilet blocks next LOL
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

lol

to late m8 allready hanging from my mirror they smell luvlyyyyyyy lol
                    black n tan
                    black n tan
                    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

do you eat them BLUE RIBBOND biscuits instead of yorkies as well
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                        Scotchblock a wire from highbeam wire at headlamp and connect to terminal number 85 on relay

Connect terminal 86 to ground ( you can use the mounting screw for your relay )
                        Because of the way the headlights are wired up this is not quite right. From top to bottom the circuit reads:- 12V, fuse, headlamp, dip switch, ground. Therefore, if you wire it up as above the spots will be on all the time (at least they were when I wired mine in - who reads the manual anyway!).

You need to take a 12V feed to terminal 85 - you can piggyback off terminal 30. Then take terminal 86 to a scotchlock on the R/Y wire on the back of a headlamp.
                        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

And the pics of the finished install Slydog???
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

and the finished product

i like m better without the plastic covers you can really see there blueeeeee i got 100 watt bulbs on order as well i think they look niceeeeee
                            Attached Files
                            black n tan
                            black n tan
                            yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Working...
                            X