Transfer box electriacl probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer box electriacl probs

Does any one Know is it possible that the soleniod or switch on the transfer box can short out and put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive on it's own. I have read problems of Not being able it into 4 wheel drive but mine seen
    ms it can not stay out

Has it always been stuck in 4wd or has it just occured recently? First point of call should be to check that the vacuum system is wired up correctly. If someone has been arsing with the hoses, you may be applying constant vacuum.

p.s: Put your vehicle details in your profile so that we have the faintest idea which model you are referring to.

Comment

Thank for your reply Matt
      1 No I don't think so, but it has destroyed the rear diff as .in the limited slip sticking and this has been replaced
      2 the vehicle is a J reg 2.4 LN 130 SSR-X

Comment

Just starting from the top, are you sure that the front diff is staying engaged, or are you just surmising that from the rear diff problems?

Comment

Front wheels and steering went tight , jacked up the front, niether wheels would turn independently front prop shaft would not turn freely, by reversing would free everything off but would then tighten up again But this is without touching anything, removed the front prop shaft, front wheels and steering OK but sometimes it feels as if the transfer box is driving the front wheels again not all the time and without touching anytrhing.

Comment

So the problem is intermittent then, not constant? Does the dash light come on to say that it's in 4wd drive when the problem occurs? Does pressing the 4wd switch on and back off release it?

p.s: Regarding your original question, any switch can knacker up if and when it sees fit. The only way to check for anything like that is to test it before and during the fault condition and see if there is any variation.
            Last edited by MattF; 24 August 2008, 21:36.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Matt

Sorry for delay in responding but been away. As for the dash light I will have to check the bulb as the 4WD light does not light at all whether the switch is in or out. My thinking is an intermittent fault on the transfer box switch/soleniod, because drove it thru to Manchester and back with 4 people and luggage without the front prop shft and no problems,

winger

Comment

Get underneath, on the back of the transfer is the transfer control motor - a small box

Where this joins the transfer, there is a switch on the LHS near the top - you'll see it has a grey connector. Take the connector off and check this for voltage - it may be that this is the culpret. It was for mine, as mine would not go into 4WD, if this switch is knackered, yours may go in, and stay in as the transfer control motor will not disengage. I may have a spare switch, but not sure.

The switch needs a 27mm spanner to remove it, and should come out quite easily..
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                  X