• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter refurb kit

ive just fitted a starter refurb kit car starts up ok but then
    sounds like a bag of spanners has been chucked into the engine

any ideas thanks, i think i have posted this yesterday in the wrong place
    sorry

Sonds like maybe the starter is staying engaged?

Comment

starter refurb kit

thanks charliemuttley,
      i've taken the starter out again and dismantled it, and a ball bearing
      fell out,the ball races were still intact though,but the electro-magnetic plunger switch with the long thin spring on it has got a concave face on it and when you look down into the hole where it goes the bottom is also concave, the end of the spring is also worn and the ball bearing sits on the spring very well. So thats where i have put the ball bearing.
      I hadn't seen any mention of this ball-bearing anywhere,so anyone doing their starter with the Roughtrax kit (which is excellent by the way) beware of this ball-bearing.

drummerboy

Comment

starter refurb kit

i've refitted the starter,turned it over and.............it still rattled like a bag of spanners had been thrown in................
        back to you charlie muttley,how do you get rid of the starter staying engaged
        any suggestions................... ..................

drummerboy.

Comment

Sorry but not quite sure what you have done wrong. Check the exploded view that comes with the kit.....maybe someone can post a drawing of all starter bits???
          I don't envy you taking starter on and off as bit of a fiddley job.
          Sorry

Comment

noise like a bag of spanners

cheers charliemuttley,four times i've taken the starter off and refitted it,getting the hang of it now,anyway PROBLEM SOLVED.
            I had a leak at the rockerbox cover repaired at a local garage a while ago and shortly afterwards i changed my glow plugs and found a socket and two
            bolts rockerbox cover size down on the shelf by the glow plugs.When i then came to remove the starter i had to tilt it up towards the front of the car in doing so something rolled of the top of the starter and into the area where the fly wheel is un noticed by me of course i refurbed the starter and refitted it and hence a noice like a bag of spanners anyway to cut a long story short
            i bought a long bendy magnet and with a bit of patience GOT IT OUT,A BOLT THE SIZE OF THE ROCKERBOX COVER......!
            So anyone thinking of removing their starter....CHECK FIRST THAT THERE IS NOTHING ON TOP OF THE STARTER
            regards chris (drummerboy

Comment

another ? re starter

hi all its me again,since i have removed and refitted the starter about four times,the car starts ok but cuts out when braking at r/abouts or traffic lights
              i have obviously pulled something off,any ideas?

thanks drummerboy

Comment

I did mine yesterday, took a while but was pretty easy and without a scratch, I wouldn't thank you for four times in a row though. H

Comment

Working...
                X